Rear suspension - Marina based roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear suspension - Marina based roadster

I am in the process of adapting a Frontline Developments RTL link to the rear (type of Watts linkage)- anyone had experiences of these units.
    Also would like to put shocks in turrets so they are vertical and not at 45 degrees. Any thoughts on this.

Re: Rear suspension - Marina based roadster

That looks an interesting project.
    When I swapped my axle for a Dolly Sprint I also changed all the spring and hanger bushes as well as the spring pads with Superflex Polyurethane bushes.
    It made a significant difference to the handling (or was it my imagination?)
    The clue that the bushes were not as tight as they might have been was the slight polishing of the seat belt anchor bolts.
    I would be interested to see how you get on, with loads of pictures etc.

Comment

No experience of the RTL...but Frontline do some well-respected stuff.

As for turreting the rear shocks this should be achievable...I've not measured in detail but by welding in a plate across the body-side/x-member (like the fillet-piece on later Roadsters for mounting the seatbelt towers on) you may be able to hang the shocks down and fabricate some lower mounts directly off the axle tube...so the lower shock mount is below the centreline of the axle (look at a Transit from behind). Obviously you'd need to make sure sufficent suspension travel isn't compromised but this might allow you to keep the same shocks (if they're good)...and not destroy valuable boot space. Add some coilovers and...I better stop there...but that's where my thoughts are heading..!

A quick (and cheap) partial fix (as mentioned iirc on the MMOC site) is to turn the upper shock mounting brackets around to reduce the angle of lean.
      Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

many thanks for your comments, AVO coil over dampers have been used both front and rear on Marina and Morris leaving the existing cart springs and torsion bars in place - coilovers then become assisters only. Plates can be fabricated and bolted inplace if the existing arrangement that carries the dampers on the rear springs. Made strong enough these plates could also take the link arms from the RTL arrangement. Not sure if enough room exists at the front damper. Also heavy duty adjustable stay bars are being made - these have been successfully fitted to Morris cars to alter castor and stiffen up the front axle. Marina design is very weak here - will post pics when available.

Comment

Working...
        X