fitting a fiat twin cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fitting a fiat twin cam

Hi i have recently bought a swb roadster which has a ital 1700 o series fitted ,i want to change the engine for a 2000 twin cam fiat and 5 speed box,i have been told that there were drawings or parts made for this,any information that anyone has on this type of conversation would be much appreciated as it looks quite a tight fit!! thanks

Re: fitting a fiat twin cam

Hi and welcome Robert. Hugh Cumming has a Roadster and has fitted a Fiat 2l and 5 speed box...look on this site at Cars, Roadster, its dark green, reg LHT 240P. He lives in Truro and is always extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I've emailed him about your post but guess he may be away.

Assuming you go ahead with this, may I have first refusal on your old engine to keep purely as a spare for mine, which is also on Cars, Roadster, Q249 FDF
    Best Wishes Dave Cunnington

Comment

hi dave, thanks for your message,hopefully i can get in touch with hugh. If you can send me your email i will give you details of the motor,it seems a good running low mileage unit.
      regards robert

Comment

Hi Robert, are you going to Exeter show? I'm hoping to get there on Sunday.
        Attached Files

Comment

hello hugh, i am quite local to the show so i am going on sunday,do you know if you will be there all day,if so perhaps i could give you a call when i am there,
          regards robert

Comment

Certainly most of the day. Call me on 0774 774 1766.
            Hope the weather keeps dry, looks like the best day.
            Hugh

Comment

Wish I could make it too, but not possible. Enjoy your day.
              Rob my mail is : [email protected]
              Cheers
              DC

Comment

Hi Robert,
                I also run a fiat twin cam (1585) in my Roadster, but it's an early Triumph car, so I'm not sure how much mechanical similarity there would be to yours. Nevertheless, feel free to ask any questions or come see the car at our SHEB meets in the SE area.

The car's on the site under cars/roadster - MNA 2G.

Cheers,
                Ty

Comment

hi Robert, Fiat 2L engines do fit, I converted a SWB some 10 years ago - just bought the car back again - YKC did make a number of bits which were very useful. Engine mounts, plate to fit foot pedel box for the clutch. What carbs, mine is a Weber down draft so with a aftermarket filter you may need to fit a blister on the bonnet. Propshat will need to be altered. Prop tunnel will need to be wider and open up the bell housing area. Gear knob should be in just the right place.Pull off the standard lever which leaves a suitable stub to fit a nice knob onto! Speedo will need recalabration. Not difficult, there are a number of people who will do that for you - keeping it cool will be you main problem. I had a rad made for me with a special core. Works a treat but you must have electric fan for urban work. Fit new cam belt and tensioner before you fit engine - I also fitted an oil cooler, not difficult but you will need to make brackets as wih the rad. Don't rely on the Fiat manual fuel pump, they can be unreliable - fit electric - Exhaust, I made up a 4 branch, not much space to get the pipes through the chassis I recall at the time. Battery poition might cause you some thought, Halfords do a compact one which seems to work - once you have done all that, and much more, it will go like hell and once you have have taken the smile off your face you will need to do something about the brakes, oh and while you are about it the suspension will need sorting to keep it in a staight line. About 100mph can be expected but up to 80mph it is very quick indeed, aerodynamics prevent futher speed which is just as well !!! Best of luck, you are welcome to give me a ring anytime, I might still remember how I did it - regards Mike L-S

Comment

Hi Robert, Somewhere in my shed of spares I have a kit that Marlin produced to convert to a Fiat engine and gearbox.

Comment

To keep it cool, I use the original Fiat 131 radiator mounted at an angle. It's specified for that engine after all, so you should be fine.
                      Attached Files

Comment

One of the problems of keeping the engine cool is air flow over the radiator core, or rather through it. The front cowl only allows a certain volume of air to pass into the core. There then needs to be enough area for the air to escape out of the engine bay. Morgans have this problem and open the sides of their bonnet - they call it summer motoring position !! The sportster has slots in the cowl I'm not sure if it's to make it look like the old Alfa but possibly might be there to help air flow. I would rather see the air passing over the core without restiction and able to escape out of the engine bay somehow. Angle the rad if you will but air must be forced thro the core somehow. The whole area get roasting hot at times, I've never done or seen it but big opening louvers in the bonnet sides might help hot air to escape - any thoughts on this? regards Mike L-S

Comment

hi Robert, try to send you a couple of pics of my Fiat engine. If this works will send you a few more when I take to front cowl off so you can see my radiator installation - Mike L-S

Comment

Robert, will try once more only!!!
                            Attached Files

Comment

hi mike thanks for the pictures and information,i also managed to have a chat with hugh cumming at the kit car show. The intended use for my car is classic trials so i am concerned about trying to get the engine and box as high as possible.The engine is a standard state of tune except for twin 40"S and a 4-2-1 manifold.I have also just bought a 10cwt marina van rear axle to lower the gearing further. Regards rob

Comment

Working...
                              X