doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doors

Has anyone got a cheap set of berlinetta doors looking for a good home? I want to get by berlinetta though its registration test, but have no chance of getting a windscreen with the correct EU markings on it. Therefore may be able to get around this by fitting aero screens, but do not want to cut the window frames off my doors, as I will be later fitting them to cope with all year round motoring in Scotland.. As no windscreen surround will be in place, I will also fit a roll bar!!!! Any help much appreciated, regards, Jim

PS at the moment am at the rolling chassis stage, so no huge rush, just need an extra set of doors at some point.

Re: doors

Jim, wouldnt it be simpler to get a new screen cut?

Comment

Yes it would be easier to get a new screen cut,however SVA rules (and presumably IVA rules), state that all glass has to be E marked, and by the manufacturer of the kit (and not a glazier), hence the problem!!!!

Comment

Although I would never do anything crooked....
        Why not buy one of those glass security etch kits and, er, mark the screen accordingly?
        As long as the screen is correctly manufactured of the correct laminated materials this must surely be OK?
        Just a thought!
        Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Apparently etching it yourself is not good enough. Has to be original manufacturer of the kit, using present day E system (not BS kite). Not ever going to happen with a Marlin!!! Nothing to stop non marked glass being put in after IVA......

Comment

I was led to believe that having one cut at Autoglass or similar was OK as they would have the correct markings stencilled in. I hope this is the case as otherwise my Romero will be following the same route!

Comment

Also just checking my version of the IVA manual (you got me worried there Jim)it states:

Check that all windscreens, windows, and side screens are securely attached to the vehicle and are constructed from approved materials.

“Safety Glazing” made from glass must be so constructed or treated that if fractured it does not fly into fragments likely to cause severe cuts. Each piece of glass must display the following relevant permanent marking applied by the glass manufacturer.
              There then follows the E marking diagram.

Unless this has been updated recently???

Comment

The other way would be to make temporary doors out of ply with no windows and go for a low wind deflector and a pair of goggles and a tooth pick.
                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Not sure if the regs have changed in the last 2 years for the glass, but I had mine etched with the markins shown in the SVA book and I had no problem and was not done by manufacturer.

Comment

Hi Jim, temporary doors sounds he way. There was an article on the forum where a Cabrio owner purchased a Land Rover screen, current markings, and then had the same cut to suit his Cabrio.

Comment

Yes, i think the markings on the glass are from the glass manufacturer NOT the car manufacturer

Comment

I was speaking t a mate of mine today and he has just had his Robin Hood in for last week for the SVA test and he thoght he would have a problem with his front screen as not etched, he passed as he proved he bought the screen with the kit prior to the SVA rule changes. It maybe worth looking in to this with the test centre.

Comment

My Cabrio's windscreen and side windows etching were inspected during its IVA test (Taunton - July 2009). There is no way the test centre can determine WHO put the etching on the window so as long as it there you should be OK.

However even plastic windows require to have an 'E' mark. Than IVA manual states:

1. Windscreens, windows and side-screens where fitted must be securely attached to the vehicle.

2. Windscreens, windows, internal glazed panels and side-screens where fitted must be suitable for its use. (see note 1 & Table 1)

3. Windscreens must be “Safety Glazing” made from glass and display the relevant markings. (see note 2 and table 1) 4. All other windows (including sunroofs and removable glass panels) and side-screens must be “Safety Glazing” (which may be made from glass, or from plastic) and display the relevant markings. (see notes 2,3 and table 1)

Comment

Hi Jim,
                            I cannot help you with the windscreen but I have made roll bars for my Berlinettas. In Sweden they are very niggly about the compulsory top seat belt anchorage - hence the roll bar. If you post your email address I will send you the plans and and some comments (nothing complicated).
                            James

Comment

Thanks James, my e-mail is jim.buckman(at)pet.hw.ac.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X