remote oil filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remote oil filter

message probably for hugh! i need to relocate the oil filter off the block to a remote location as it is fouling the chassis rail,does any one have any knowledge of a suitable tap off plate to go on the block.
    thanks robert

Re: remote oil filter

Hi Robert, If you have a look at the disc I gave you at Exeter there's some pics on there.
    Essentially, I removed the Fiat filter mount and fitted a 1/2" alloy plate in its place. This was drilled and tapped to take 15mm. pipe fittings to mate up with the internal oilways.
    The origional filter mount was mounted on a similar plate but longer to allow me to bolt it to the steering rack bracket.
    If I remember right, I got the hose to join it all up from Europa.
    I also fitted an oil cooler rad. This is piped in with a thermostat so the flow is - oil pump to filter to thermostat to engine. As the temp of the oil rises the stat. starts to open and oil is diverted through the cooler then to the engine. I've fitted a temp. gauge on a 'T' in the hose from the stat. back to the engine and the temp comes up to 80C and thats it. The pressure gauge takeoff is at the stat. housing.
    The origional oil presure light s/w is still on the origional filter housing.
    Attached Files

Comment

And another.
      Attached Files

Comment

hi Hugh, you have done the exact installation I did some years back. Your mounting of the oil cooler appears that you have drilled & bolted through the chassis, expect you sealed the plates to prevent water ingress - do others drill the chassis, much easier at times to do this rather than weld, I'm wanting to drill the rear cross beam to bolt a RTL linkage in place but have resisted so far. In the end the brackets are so much easier to do.

Comment

Test
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mike, It's 12yrs since I fitted this and yes I drilled and tapped the chassis but used sealer on the joint and threads. When I built the car 20yrs ago I fitted some other bits the same way but I also Waxolied the inside of the chassis before sealing it up.
            If I was mounting anything major I'd tend to go right through the rail and fit plates either side or weld a tube through the rail to take the bolt compression.
            The chassis was primed with two coats of Hammerite No1 and then two coats of Dulux gloss black. The muck catching areas were also undersealed. It's shown no sign of rust and the paint has lasted well except when I've damaged it and had to patch it up.
            Attached Files

Comment

And the time and date are right - Well done Sue.

Comment

Hi guys to fit a oil cooler to a Fiat, Lancia or BMW engine, find a breakers yard with a E30 3 series 2.5 and remove the oil filter(dump it)then remove the sandwich block, don't bother with the oil cooler or pipes. Then buy a MGB oil cooler and pipes from Bee Hive and re fit to your Marlin. Or if you can find one, a complete oil filter/oil cooler housing from a Fiat Strada 130 fit that but it is alway wise to get a new cooler matrix. In the case of oil coolers "old is not gold" You could end up with a case of "banging on the old big ends" and oil all over the floor.

Len.

Comment

I forgot to say the BMW sandwich plate has a built in thermostart to contol the flow through the cooler. I am not sure about the Strada 130, I will have a look at the one I have.
                  Len.

Comment

Working...
                  X