Unleaded Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unleaded Conversion

I've decided to have this done to my Berli, have a Cortina 2.0.

I've been advised by the garage that if I get the Sierra Cylinder Head then they will do the fitting/timing etc, and it will be a lot cheaper, rather than getting everything new.

Has anyone done this?
    Can anyone suggest somewhere to find a suitable cylinder head? I've tried ebay and other sources but so far unsuccessful.
    Thanks

Re: Unleaded Conversion

You should be able to have your own head converted by an engineering shop. The garage should be able to remove the head and get it done for you.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

If you buy a second cyl head make sure it has the the letters, P, PP, or R,RR identification adjacent to no4 spark plu on a 2lt engine as this is a unleaded cyl head. Most SOHC Pinto engines after 1989 are unleaded heads.

Comment

Hi Graham. I had the cylinder head on my old Sierra 2.0GL converted to unleaded. Basically this requires the exhaust seats to be machined away to accept a hardened steel insert. Best to fit 4 new exhaust valves at the same time then get the machine shop to lap them all in for you, plus the inlets to save time and hassle! No sure how old / what mileage your old head is but check the camshaft while the head is off as you can't replace it with the engine in the car.

I have a s/hand OE 2.0L camshaft that was replaced unneccessarily at 80k miles if you want it. Peter.

Comment

Hi Graham,
          I have done just the cylinder head exchange you are thinking of on 2 cars. The 2.0L sierra (unleaded head) with the identification mentioned by Bob bolts straight on with no problems. Your need a new head gasket set, preferably new (splined) bolts, a new camshaft packbox and as recomended by Peter a new camshaft kit. Make sure that the "new" cylinder head is not damaged and that the valves don't have any side play.
          Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. This is certainly not the kind of job that I have the time/skill to have done myself, but will pass on your recommendations to the garage.

Does anyone know where I might get another cylinder head, or would it just be simpler/better to pay the extra for the conversion? I've tried several breaker's yards etc but with no joy.

Thanks again.
            Does anyone have any contacts

Comment

My advice is "bite the bullet!" Although it seems a bit of an outlay, renewing your old head with new guides if neccessary, valves, springs and the seats will pay dividends in the future. This will allow the new camshaft and followers to deliver the full potential of the head. I have an unleaded conversion to my car done by Vulcan and am very pleased with the result but most engine repair engineering firms acn produce good results.

obtaining an old head frtom the breakers is always a bit of a roulette game. It would probably need a bit of "refreshing" anyway.

Good luck!
              Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

I have a Pinto cylinder head minus cam shaft which I bought on eBay some time ago and was planning to use myself. It was advertised as unleaded and for a 2 litre motor: there are however no markings of any kind that I could find. As such, it seems to me to be an ideal candidate for reworking at the machine shop. Come back to me if your interested.

Comment

Graham. If you do use Bill's cylinder head don't forget that I have a s/hand OE 2.0L camshaft that was replaced unneccessarily at 80k miles if you want it. It's free if you pay the postage. Peter.

Comment

Thanks all. I've decided to go for the complete job, but thanks for the offers. I'll let you know how it goes!

Comment

This isn't exactly going to plan

The garage that I normally use told me that apparently the Pinto engines have a problem with the water jacket, so the engineer that they use wouldn't be happy to do any machining; instead he was going to source a replacement head.

However, he can't find any. Apparently the stock car circuit has mopped up all spares for my engine (2.0 1976 Cortina).

Does this sound right? It would explain why I haven't been able to find a spare myself.

They are suggesting a replacement engine, but I would need a whole donor vehicle and I don't really want to get to that stage! I don't have the facilities to do that myself, so would have the garage to do it, which would be very costly!

Any suggestions?! Are they right about the water jacket thing? The fact that some of you have been able to get it done makes me think that they actually just don't want to do the job, and therefore I was going to look elsewhere.

Thanks - sorry for so many questions!

Comment

look on ebay engine on all the time 2lt pintos

Comment

Hi Graham. Is there anything wrong with your engine? How many miles do you intend to do? If the answers are No and the miles are below average then carry on as you are and use an additive. The only thing that could happen eventually is that you will have valve seat and valve burning , wear, etc and you will have to have the same work done then that you are considering now. There are many owners who have been using there cars for many years and they are still okay. Castrol super unleaded also gives an octane boost. My point is, that this will give you more time to find an engine, or a machine shop, or you may even decide to leave it as it is.

Comment

Thanks, unfortunately I think one of the valves has gone because it's now not firing on one cylinder. A previous owner somewhere down the line has not used the additive I think, as the previous owner to me certainly did.

We took it round Brittany last May and I think the mileage I put on it there (approx 1400) is what did it, running it every day for long periods. If you look in the "Miscellaneous" forum we're planning on going round Scotland in June for 2 weeks, so need to get things sorted by then!

I'll keep hunting.
                            Thanks.

Comment

Graham, I sent an old head off to Vulcan to be reworked. They will refurbish the head to any state of tune from standard upwards. They never mentioned any worries about water jackets. The machining for the inserts, which are only fitted to the exhaust ports, involves removing only a small annulus of metal. Why not give them a bell? Their info is in "Links".
                              Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Working...
                              X