Poor starting from hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor starting from hot

I have just about finished my coversion to Rover V8 and was about to set off for the MOT centre when, would you believe it, the car would not start. I have had the engine, supplied by JRV8 (photo attached), running well and thought all was OK. However, yesterday I got the car out of the garage, it started first time, and let it warm up and idle nicely without choke. When I came to set off for the test centre 15 minutes later it would not start - turned over OK but not a hint of it firing - and then I flattened the battery. I left it for a few hours, charged up the battery and it started first time. To check it wasn't just one of those things, I did the same today and it was still very reluctant to start when warmed up, though I did eventually manage it. I haven't tuned the carb (Edelbrock 500)but it was running so nicely I didn't think I needed to. Has anyone experienced, and cured, anything similar? thanks. Paul

Re: Poor starting from hot

...the photo
    Attached Files

Comment

Him Paul, I had this problem with a webber 4barrel. There is a thicker gasket available for between carb and manifold.When I fitted this it started from hot.

Comment

Thanks danny. Do you know where I can get one?

Comment

I got mine from Webber agent.

Comment

Thanks again. Managed to locate one from V8Tuner but packaging says not for use on highways(race only). Any idea why or is that for USA only?

Comment

I do not know the answer to that one, your idea sounds about right. I am sure mine said the same. Let me know if you cure the problem.

Comment

Hi Danny. Fitted the thicker gasket, actually its 3 aluminium spacers with gaskets between them, and it seems to be easier to start. Unfortunately failed MOT on inefficient rear brakes so cleaning them up (removing the glaze from the shoes), bleeding system again, and going back for retest asap. If that doesn't work may have to think about upgrade to rear discs. Paul

Comment

Hi Paul,

Is your tank ventilated (or your filler cap). You get exactly the same symptoms but it is not heat - it is simply the fact that your pump eventually cannot suck against the vacuum you are creating in the tank and and hey presto fuel starvation after a period of say 5 to 10 minutes. If you then leave it to stand and if air manages to seep into the tank you can restart and run for another 5 - 10 mins (Bob Cawte came up with this - I drilled 2 x 2mm holes in my filler cap to prove the point and the problem went away)

Comment

Working...
                  X