Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel vapour separator (Pinto 2.0 ltr OHC )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel vapour separator (Pinto 2.0 ltr OHC )

Before I dive in and start hacking at it, does anyone know if it can be taken apart and refurbished (see Haynes Sierra 1982 - 1993 manual : 4 cylinder petrol, p.105 fig. 3.6 for picture) Alternatively, has anyone got a spare they're prepared to part with for an appropriate sum of money?

Re: Fuel vapour separator (Pinto 2.0 ltr OHC )

Hi Keith.
    If it's like the one on my old 2.0L (Pinto) Sierra then the top was swaged on and not dismantlable. I had one fail once. The symptoms were just like running out of petrol. Fortunately the RAC man had seen the problem before and jury rigged the fuel supply direct to the carb. Problem is that the filter element inside is made from plastic "fins" and these disintegrate after time blocking the fuel supply. The moral is definitely throw it away and fit a new one. Suggest you try Google for one of the old ford spares suppliers or ebay? Peter.

Comment

Just out of interest, is the picture in the Haynes manual right in terms of which tube goes where? Have I done the classic schoolboy error and not made a note properly of what came from where ?

Comment

Mine looked like Fig 3.6 on page 105. The car is long gone so I can't check it but I haven't made any alternative notes in my old manual so I believe that it was as per the above illustration. As I discovered at the time of the breakdown / get u home fix by the RAC the engine will run perfectly well with an in line filter between the pump and the carb and the return line blocked off. You could also add a fuel pressure regulator and forget the original unit. According to the manual it was only there to remove fuel vapour from the line and improve hot starting. When I replaced mine it was very expensive from Ford so the above change could be an attractive alternative. Peter.

Comment

Hi Peter,

Just out of interest, if I bypass the fuel vapour separator and don't put in a pressure regulator what are your thoughts on what will happen. If the Weber float chamber is full, it shuts down the inlet but the pump keeps pumping. Is that going to create a problem?

I have bypassed the vapour separator as per your RAC chappy and now the car will start but it will only drive for about 10mins and from then on it will continually drive and splutter to a halt every minute or so which would imply something is happening once the engine is warm. The car has new electronic ignition, new matching coil, new plugs and new plug leads so I am hoping I can pretty much discard electrics

Comment

Hi Keith. Older cars just had a fuel pump and the float needle in the carb to limit the flow on demand. The mechanical fuel pumps use a spring loaded diaphragm operated off the camshaft so when the carb doesn't need fuel the diaphragm and compressed spring ceases to "pump" automatically so no real problem there. The fuel pressure regulators for carbed cars are really just to prevent over fuelling and associated excessive fuel consumption. Is your fuel cap vented? The symptoms you describe are typical of a blocked or unvented fuel filler cap. The demand from the pump gradually creates a partial vacuum in the tank which overcomes the pump. Next time the engine stops open the fuel filler and listen closely for any hiss of ingoing air. Not sure the reason for your first post. Why did you suspect the fuel vapour separator in the first place? Is your fuel pump ok? Try blowing the fuel right back to the tank to clear any blockage. High mileage Weber carbs suffer from pinholes in the accelerator pump diaphragms which really mess up their operation. Replacement kits are easy to fit if you can find someone that still stocks them! Peter.

Comment

Keith.
              Just remove the vapour seperator as it make no different to the engines operation and its something less to go wrong. Put an inline filter from your lift pump to you Carb inlet port to catch any dirt. I have ran several Pinto engines over the years without the seperators and had no problems.

Comment

Thanks guys. I have done that. I also took the carb apart to check to see if there was any muck in the float chamber Didn't see any but blew through just in case. I removed an old filter (that I didn't like the look of) and replaced it with a new one. Just done a test drive and all seems well - hurrah !!

Comment

Working...
                X