Cabrio Wiper Mechanism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio Wiper Mechanism

Did anyone have problems getting a full sweep?
    I believe I have modified my wiper mechanism exactly as Marlin advise but the nearside crank arm fouls on the mounting spacer, preventing full movement. I guess the answer is to cut a piece out of the crank arm - but this should not be necessary if Marlin have their angles correct?
    Have I done something wrong, or have others had the same problem?
    Mike

Re: Cabrio Wiper Mechanism

Mike

I had exactly the same problem.

The dimensions for all the drop arms and links were bang on but it fouled. After much buggering about I found the problem. On my chassis the wiper mounting plate was in the wrong place, it was, from memory, about 25mm further in than it should have been.

Once I realised the problem you could see the mistake when you offered up the fibre glass dash back panel. The relief in the moulding to go round the wiper mount plate was wrong in relation to the mounting plate for the wiper motor. I managed to elongate the hole for the wiper motor spindle and rotate and re-drill the wiper motor mount bolts to solve it.

This could be your problem, it took me several hours of cursing before I realised what was going on but one I moved the wiper motor mount point it all worked fine.

Regards

John

Comment

John
      You are spot on - my plate has been welded 15mm too close to the windscreen frame based on the relief in the glass fibre dash back plate. Whilst out walking in the Lakes this weekend I decided the simplest solution will be to extend the primary connector by 10-15mm to compensate for the error.
      Now that I've read your comment you have created an other problem for me though. I shall have to remove the 15mm of plate which does not fit within the relief and therefore fouls the glass fibre and prevents it fitting flush to the steel frame cross member.....
      ..........but thanks for pointing it out.#
      I'll post a picture tomorrow to highligh the problem.

An other example of Marlin's quality control
      Mike

Comment

Update.
        I've now extended the primary connecting rod by 15mm.
        I've also shortened the driver's side spindle arm by 8mm to increase the wipe angle. This now allows the blde to wipe to flush with the vertical frame, AND park well below the bonnet line. Looks very neat.
        Mike

Comment

Ignore the above - I would edit it if it was possible. I lengthened the primary connecting rod 15mm, and increased the motor rotor arm by 8mm to increase the sweep of both wipers. This now allows the drivers blade to wipe to flush with the vertical frame, AND for bothblades to park well below the bonnet line. Looks very neat.
          Mike

Comment

Working...
          X