Oil cooler guff...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil cooler guff...

Hi all. My neat 2.1 Vulcan Pinto is nicely run in now and is opening up all sorts of opportunities for the Devon and Cornwall Police!!
    After an hour or so on a fast run I notice that the oil is probably a little hot. I wonder if anyone has fitted an oil cooler to a Pinto/Berlinetta and where did they put it?
    I still do not know whether to fit an Air/oil cooler, or, if one of the early Cosworth water/oil Modeen types would do. I have an uprated main rad and never have a coolant temperature issue with the engine. The Modeen would be seriously easier to fit - probably about twenty minutes at a push. It would also not require a thermostat. I reckon that I would have to put a scoop in the front flat area of the car's nose cowl to fit a normal oil cooler to the fron cross member.
    Any thoughts or advice?
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Re: Oil cooler guff...

Hi Dane, Would be good to know what you think, a little hot is. What oil do you use ? Regards Bob

Comment

Hi Bob,
      After a thirty to forty minute burst along the A30 at, of course, 70mph (er, or 4000rpm with 3.75 diff- please don't do the sums!!) the idle oil pressure drops to about 2 bar. The idle pressure is much higher than this at cold start up. Above 1800 rpm I get 5.5 bar as normal at any time. Vulcan say that I have to use the Valvolene VR Racing 20/50 oil in this engine. I just think that the oil is getting too hot in "fast" conditions. I'll temperature probe it when I repair my probe.
      The odd thing is that the water temp stays well under control at just over 90°C in the cruise(VDO sender in block and VDO Gauge). If I halt for more than two minutes after this run then the temp soon rises to 100° plus bringing in my fan which soon returns it to 95°ish!
      Do you think all is OK and don't need to worry?
      Cheers for now.

Comment

Hi Dane, Dave Hitchings has an air oil cooler with a scoop and he will tell you that this works well.At the pressures that you are getting with the oil that you are using my opinion is that you are okay, but I have always used an oil cooler on any Ford over bored, tuned engine.

Comment

Thanks Danny, you have convinced me to design the cooler system. I'll most likely go for the air/oil option now.

Cheers.

Comment

Dane, If you want to have a look at the system on my roadster I'm in Bodmin. It might give you some ideas. Bod 75977

Comment

Hi Dane, As you know I have exactly the same set up in my Berli as in yours, except in a Sierra based car rather than the Cortina. I run on the Valvolene VR Racing 20W/50 as recommended by Vulcan and my pressures are comparable with yours I seem to run betwee 3bar and 5 bar. One of the benefits of this oil is that it is also recommended for racing engines and has the ability to perform well under high temperature and more arduous conditions.
              I don't believe there are any problems with oil overheating because my water temp. always appear to be on the low side, in fact, I have been able to do away with the engine fanto make it less cool. In addition, I am running with a shallow alloy sump, which takes less oil and runs hotter.
              I'm afraid that Danny did not give you all the facts about D. Hitchins's conversion, he is running a big Rover V8, which fills the engine bay and had to put extra air vents in the bonnet to help the air flow. Let us know how you get on . regards Brian.

Comment

Hi Brian the only reason I mention Daves Oil cooler is to confirm that the position works, under the apron and a scoop is reqd to direct the flow.I have had several oil coolers in this position and they worked well without a scoop.

Comment

Mine is under the apron and I don't have a scoop. It's about 2" more clearance than the sump. The oil comes up to 80deg and that's it
                  Attached Files

Comment

Better pic.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Dane

From what you say about your oil pressure and engine temperature, I don't think there is anything wrong. I am with Brian on this one, the oil is probably only just getting into it's running temperature and adding a cooler may bring the pressure up but the down side is you will struggle to get the hot enough to do it's job. Between you and me a lot of people try to cool the oil to much, in this country with low ambient temperatures oil coolers tip things the other way, unless the engine is running hot.
                      Regards
                      Bob

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your kind replies. I have a lot to consider so I'll re-post here when I have decided how to proceed. Best wishes to you all.

Comment

Well, I've done it ! I noted the comments about not needing a cooler and those from Danny about fitting one. I have obtained a Cosworth YB Modeen oil cooler and fitted it. This will allow the oil a faster warm up and should keep it at around 95°C. I have been for a burn and the results look very good with greater (hot) idling oil pressure and almost no increase in water temp. So Far I am pleased with the job. It is a very easy modification to make if anyone else is interested. The cooler should fit all Pintos - mine is a a 205 block. Long term report to come!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Oops - more spollign mastikes. The cooler is properly called a Modine oil cooler, Sorry!

Comment

That choice makes for a very tidy fitting Dane. never mind the spelling!
                              Danny.

Comment

Working...
                              X