Sump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump

We've just returned from a lovely trip around Scotland where the only mishap was knocking a hole in the sump when entering a B&B on Skye. The local garage (Kenny's) were fantastic and we were back on the road in no-time. They basically chopped the horrendously battered (some old, some very new!) bottom off and welded a new one on, and everything seems fine. However, this isn't really a long term option.

The low sump must be a problem for lots of 2.0 Cortina based Berlinettas. Has anyone come up with a suitable replacement? Would a Capri or Sierra one be better? Or just leave it chopped off?

Any experiences/thoughts much appreciated.

Graham
    Attached Files

Re: Sump

Hi Graham,
    A Capri sump gives you a little more, a RS 2000 alloy sump helps as well. You could have a shallow sump with side pods fabricated, Westfield, and some of the other 7 type manufacturers make these for the Pinto. The other option or as well as, is to look at ways to pick your car up a bit on the suspension, and or the tyre size etc. In the early days Cortina Berlinettas suffered, but most owners/ builders found ways to sort the problem at least some of the way. I am close to you if you if you think that I can help in any way then give me a ring, or email.
    Danny.

Comment

Hi Graham
      Check out the Haynes book 'Build Your Own Car on a Budget'
      There is a section on modification to the Pinto sump. The book is a good read in any case, there may be a copy in your local library.
      Phil Steele

Comment

Graham, I had the same problem years ago. I fitted a Capri sump with no problems. Make sure that you get the oil pump pick up pipe with strainer and it is a good idea to get the capri dipstick and tube. I have also fitted new engine mount bobbins. The sump barely extends below the chassis side rails and so far, no dings.
        Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Graham.

What wheels/tyres are you running at the moment? Is your 'box 4 or 5 speed?

Fitting the highest-profile tyres you can buy (say, 195/80s or even wider with the same profile) can give a very useful half to one inch extra height depending on what you are running at the moment. Most tyres of that size are mainly designed for small Chelsea tractors, but many are vastly more suited for road use than off-road (no surprise there...)

Comment

Thank you for all the tips, will have to start looking for a Capri sump and that book! I can't remember off hand what the tires are off-hand, but they're pretty big. The previous owner had them put on and he had to reconfigure the speedo etc so I think that job has been done.
            Thanks

Comment

Hi Graham
              Just had very same problem on my Roadster
              Secondhand sump from "Capri Gear"
              (see thread in miscelaneous for details)
              I had it shortened along wth pickup pipe locally for
              "40 beer vouchers"
              Basically they cut off the bottom of the pan and welded some of it back on the side,so bit less capacity but low mileage expected and regular oil changes it should not be an issue,also resited drain plug and hole to front.It is now level with bottom of bellhousing and looks fine
              Regards
              Bryan
              Attached Files
              Stapley Bryan

Comment

here's a link to the rhocar page for their modified sump plans... http://nw.rhocar.org./sump.htm

Comment

Working...
                X