Your most memorable marlin journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your most memorable marlin journey

Hi fellow Marlineers I got thinking (dangerous I no) but what is your most memorable marlin journey you have had ????? share with us.

There has been many but I think the most was the weekend of the Lakes 2007 days after my mother had passed away, on the Sunday night I said farewells to all the marlineers who had attended the lakes and I took off by myself driving around the lakes in my roadster with not a car about to around half 3 in the morning, it was very warm, dry and man and machine were at on with each other. I think I covered over 500 miles that night and really used the roadster as it should be used should we say.

Re: Your most memorable marlin journey

the first trip after a year to build a drunk driver stuffed right in the side will not forget that day.never did get paid out never minde thats life!!!

Comment

I have had a few memorable trips. Many years ago, the first was when I bought "Moll" I had answered an advert in Pitstop to go and see a Berli in Glasgow. I was determined to get it and went up by train. It was winter and an the gloom it looked OK. after a test drive I bought it there and then. I drove overnight and cross country from Glasgow to Beverley. I was a bit worried about the grinding back axle, unbalanced braking, crunchy gearbox and hesitant engine. I stopped for fuel half way and everyone in the kiosk moved away from me in disgust. I thought that they were just jealous of my excuisite vehicle. Despite what I though were tired eyes and windblown face I carried on and arrived at my Beverley garage at 0300. I just parked up and went to my room in the Officer's Mess. All was well until I caught site of myself in the mirror. I looked like a refugee from the Black & White minstrels. The front of my body and face were black with oil and other fluids. It turns out that the camshaft oil seal (pinto) was missing and replaced with a piece knotted string. This just filtered the spray of 20/50 disgorging from the camshaft rear bearing. There was no damper on the rear LHS, the diff was shot, the gearbox bearings had disappeared and the forlorn vehicle was sitting in a pool of oil and coolant all a bit lopsided due to shot or missing suspension bushes!
      Every mechanical part has since been replaced and upgraded. That journey was an inkling into the mysteries of Berlinetta ownership. I suppose the people in the fuel kiosk were genuinely afraid!
      More journeys soon!
      As a postscript, I hired a transit to go back to Glasgow and pick up various spares and a hardtop I had left behind. The transit had tracking set up to match the rear wheels of a Navy Lynx. It just wouldn't go straight OR corner properly. They had removed the heater piping because it leaked and only three gears worked (none of which included reverse!) Now that was a terrifying journey. Oh yes, an injector fuel leak had me running out of fuel on the York by-pass at evening rush hour. Mr Popular. I suppose I should have hired it from a reputable firm and not, er, Avis!!!!
      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Sorry, I cannot spill exquisite!
        Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

There have been many memorable journeys since 1992 but I think some of the overseas trips we have done must be high on the list. Taking my Roadster to Ireland and France.
          Rough roads in Ireland meant we kept grounding out and the points welded together. France driving with our friends in the classic car club and having trouble finding fuel on a Sunday afternoon nr Le Mans having used the spare can.
          The most memorable was probably taking the Cabrio to Norway and going up to the snow line.
          Its so difficult to name the best as we have done so much in Marlins and driving round Scotland in my Berlinetta on the Scottish Run, the Lakes Runs, the Exmoor Runs etc etc.

Comment

An 80 mile trip from the parents to home when the "everyday" car broke down (an All Aggro...it was a while ago..!) & the Marlin was drafted as a replacement, hood down in the middle of winter...snow on the ground, sub-zero even without the windchill. Despite the best Helly Hansens, flying jacket & helmet it was b*****y freezing. I can still remember the feeling as I sat in front of the fire thawing out...car ran well though...nice cool induction temps..!
            Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
            Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

The whole experience of 25 years of all things Marlin is a journey in itself.
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

The most stupid Journey I have made in a car was in my Berlinetta towing a 4 wheel trailer with a Rover SD1 on it! I was after the engine and towed it from Keswick to Manchester. I have pictures to prove it. The steering proved to be a bit light??
                Phil

Comment

Driving my Sportster to the SVA test centre with no windscreen and passing first time!

Comment

The most memorable trip must be the first. I agreed to buy the roadster over the phone' then went to Newcastle to fetch it. New mot, no weather gear 2L Pinto, and a dodgy steering rack!!! left Newcastle in late May in a howling gale and thunderstorm, (soon found out that if you get it up to about 60 most of the rain goes round), drove for 2 hours and had a stop for food, and to recover, wife frightened to death following as I had been wandering across the road in a rather random fashion. carried on home and as we turned on to the A17 at Newark started to find out what marlins are about, wind dropped, and was from behind, sun came out and the pleasure started, all was good until it went dark. The headlamps were like candles in the wind!! crawled home, abandoned the thing on the drive and went to bed. It could only get better, and it has.

Comment

Working...
                    X