Another beep beep question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another beep beep question

Does anyone know who would varnish and polish me a dash board,must be polished like a mirror.
    I know Europer do these but its a satin finish.

Re: Another beep beep question

Hi Lee,

Is it worth contacting a local french polisher who repairs stains in antique furniture i.e.local phone book

Comment

Try Classical Dash
      www.classical-dash.co.uk
      Tel 01494 528333
      High Wycombe, Bucks Advert in Practical Classics mag
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Lee
        In my opinion the best stuff to use would be two pack yacht varnish which can even be sprayed on. I've seen some incredible results on dinghys, some of which were brushed on and then 1200 grit wet and dry and 't' cut .You do need a minimum temp of 10 degrees for it to go off but shouldn't be a problem this time of year.

Comment

Use lots of thin coats of yacht varnish. Wait till each one goes off before applying the next, don't worry if they are not too smooth. After at least 15 coats leave it a month to go really hard, then cut back and polish just as you would do with paint. This is how Morgan do theirs.

Mine cam out with a mirror gloss but I didn't use enough coats and the grain has lifted in the damp. :-(.

Their is a commercial product a 1/2 inch thick solid plastic laminate with a very shiny wood effect on both sides, this is used to make toilet partitions, would make an indestructible dashboard.

Comment

Hi Lee

This is the stuff:

http://www.clarkecoatings.co.uk/envirotex.html

its a polymer coating that you pour on in a dust free environment. I have seen the results on a friends burr walnut TR6 dash and it looks fantastic ie Bently style deep high gloss finish.

John

Comment

Oops, missed out a dash, should be:

http://www.clarke-coatings.co.uk/envirotex.html

John

Comment

Hi John, Wow, this stuff looks fantastic and the price is very good too, I will be giving them a call tomorrow.Has it lasted on the TR ?

Comment

Lee,
                  Europa also do this to go with their burr walnut veneered dash which is unfinished.
                  https://www.europaspares.com/STYLING___INTERIOR/DASHBOARDS/EPOXY_RESIN___ER12__2029.html
                  I have used both of these in the past on an RMB Gentry (MG TF Replica) dash which came out looking amazing.
                  Attached Files
                  Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                  - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Hi Lee

He had the car for about 2 or 3 years after the dash was done and it looked as good as new up till the time he sold it.

The trick with it is to construct a mini tent of plastic or similar to go over it when it is curing to protect it from dust. I think from memory there was an instruction sheet with it which provided tips on getting the finish perfect.

I intend to use it on my dash when I get round to renewing it.

John

Comment

Lee

The instructions I mentioned are online on the manufacturers US website:

http://www.eti-usa.com/consum/envtex/envinstr.htm

John

Comment

Lee,
                        Looks like many other classic car forums are favouring this stuff from Rustins.
                        http://www.axminster.co.uk/rustins-rustins-clear-plastic-coating-prod23018/?name=rustins&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=44
                        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                        - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Many thanks all I am going to see Europa on the weekend of Derby with the view of getting the burr walnut blank to be varnished or the laminate sheet already finished ready to cut out.
                          Has anyone used the laminate blank they supply ?? I am worried about cutting it out without chippng the edges any advice ??

Thankyou all again

Comment

Hi Lee,
                            I used the Europa material for the dash in my Berli which will be in Derbys. Its a "formica" type material laninated to 13mm MDF which is considerably easier to work than the s.s. that I used in my Sportster. The secret to cutting the MDF laminate is ti cover the face with paper masking tape as you would if cutting thro' a worktop. A hole saw or a router can be used to then cut out holes etc. Tim

Comment

Working...
                            X