Fitting Motorcycle mirrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting Motorcycle mirrors

I have some wing mirrors mounted through the mudguards close to the side lights. These are over 2m from the seating position and have never really been satisfactory as a small vibration has a big effect.
    This has become more noticable as with OD and a Sprint axle, cruising at motorway speeds is a lot easier but the need to check for vehicles coming up from behind greater..

I have seen some cars that have what look like motorcycle, concave, wing mirrors fitted through the lower windcreen support posts, immediately in front of the doors.

If so, these are commonly M10 male threaded. As the chassis is only 3mm thick steel, has anyone considered drilling a larger hole through from the inside in order to fit a securing nut?

I know the windscreen surround also acts a roll bar. I am not proposing drilling into that, but in a much larger, stronger, steel section than the surround which is ultimately the weak point.

Your thoughts please..

Re: Fitting Motorcycle mirrors

Hello Steve,

I have drilled into the screen surround to attach my mirrors (YKC Roadster). I would be very surprised if it compromises the rollover functionality and in practical terms if you roll your car I suspect you will have far more things to worry about, and don't forget, folks drill into it to attach wind deflectors, sun visors and hood clips.

I would have thought it would be possible to find an M8 or even M6 mirror support rod. Whatever you decide, make sure you can position the nearside mirror at an angle large enough to see alongside the car. I am going to have to bend my support rod somehow as the mirror itself will only go back so far before it hits the machined end of the rod.

Comment

Re: Fitting Motorcycle mirrors

Thanks Keith.
      I pretty much agree with your thoughts, it's nice to have some confirmation.
      M10 seems to be the Motorcyle standard but I have seen some with Left and Right hand threads presumably to prevent them unscrewing in the wind.
      Your point about alignment is well made. I will look further at avoiding the hood etc when positioning them.

Comment

Working...
      X