Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vibration/judder on braking - any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vibration/judder on braking - any ideas?

Andy, It has no relation to your problem as with all the replacing and refettling that you have been involved in there cannot be a speck of dirt to be seen on your car.

My middle son, who is a vet with a rural practice on the Welsh borders had a similar problem on his subaru. Considerable wheel vibration and not just on braking. It baffled some of the best garage minds until it was finally traced to a build up of cow shit on the inside of the wheels themselves. Wheels of course that had been removed each time the car had been examined for the fault.

But then you have alloys.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am now certain it is brake-related. Refitted RH caliper and took LH side off. Went for a run and braking is now smooth, albeit with a viscous pull to the right! So now to investigate the caliper and disc.
      As you say, Neil, it may well be disc run-out, even though I fitted a new disc fairly recently. Will check this out when I get a minute. Not sure how the disc has warped though, and it's only been on for a few hundred miles.

Comment

I once had a new disc that was true on one side but running out on the other. It gave a kickback on the pedal.
        Had another new one that had a stud hole missing - needless to say it took some fitting!!!!

Comment

A Ford mechanic (good one) told me the discs can warp in less than 100 miles. They advise, get this, very gentle braking for the first 500 miles, to put repeated, but low temperature cycles throug them! Sounded a bit F1 to me, but a new set of discs was always the answer.

Comment

Judder sorted at last! Took the car into a garage this morning and had both front disks skimmed using a 'Protec' lathe. This machines the disks whilst on the car, and so takes into account the combined runout from disks, hubs, bearings. Braking is now smooooth. Just have to get mudguard stay repaired now (broke due to disk judder) and the car will be fit for purpose. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Comment

Lets hope its a lasting solution. Well done in tracking it down eventually.

Comment

Working...
              X