Removing Broken Frint wheel stud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Broken Frint wheel stud

Hi I am now going to remove the old stud. None of the manuals state how to do this. Do I have to remove the whole disc or can I just remove the Hub assembly which holds the studs. There are four bolts holding this on and I think once off I will then be able to extract the broken stud from the rear of that plate.

Any ideas.

Adrian

Re: Removing Broken Frint wheel stud

Sorry Subject should have said FRONT. Doh

Comment

Assuming you are stock Marina. Its a case of removing the brake caliper. In an ideal world you would disconnect the brake hose but provided you dont put any weight on the hose and tie the caliper out of the way you should be OK.
      Remove the hub bearing cover and undo the hub nut. I replace the cover to stop dirt from getting into the bearing.
      Now you can pull the hub off. Stuff some clean rag into the inner bearing to keep it clean.
      There are four bolts holding the disc to the hub, remove these and seperate the hub and disc. Purists would mark these so that they get replaced exactly where they came off. The stud can now be pressed out in a vice. The new ones can be pulled back in using a few washers and a wheel nut.

Refitting is the reverse. I cannot remember torque wrench settings for the disc or caliper bolts, but the stub axle nut should be gently tightened and then backed off one flat as they are taper bearings.

It is possible to leave the brake caliper in position, undo the four disc bolts and then remove the hub leaving the disc on the stub shaft. It saves a bit of time but is not generally reccomended.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Many thanks Steve. Using your instructions I have got the bolt out. Now just need a new one. I have found some on ebay, correct part number as well. Adrian

Comment

Adrian give me a buzz got a wheels stud if you want it ???

Comment

Working...
          X