Calling all Pinto experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Pinto experts

Hi can you tell me if there is any difference between a 2L Pinto out of a Sierra/Capri to say a Pinto out of a Van/Minibus/truck ???
    I understand the ancillarys may be different ie exhaust, mountings, carb, manifold etc but how about inside cam, pistons, rods, flywheel etc etc.
    The reason I ask is im looking for a 2L either good one to rebuild, to replace my 1600cc Pinto in my Berli.

Re: Calling all Pinto experts

hi you could ask these boy's on here
    http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?63369-Can-someone-ID-this-pinto-block-for-me-please

Comment

Hello Artyis
      Again, Will you please contact me
      Regards
      Tim Hawkesworth

Comment

Hi Tim,
        Go for a 2 litre Pinto from a sierra. They had the stronger "205" block which is much more forgiving for rebores etc. I have an old clapped 1976 2 litre engine on my stand and a nice Vulcan "205" in my car. I have not found any difference with refernco to bolt holes, position of ancillaries etc. The Sierra cam would be good if you are not planning to fit a Kent or Piper. The ignition was electronic with a module, but, the old Cortina dizzy will fit OK (but not as good!). The 32/36 carb and manifold will fit the Sierra head. This head will most likely be non leaded too which is good. The Capri was similar to the Cortina IV & V but with the bonus of a shallower sump.
        The Cortina engine mounts will fit the latest blocks as they did on my Sierra unit. Beware that the input splines on the 2 litre are bigger than those on a 1600. So if you have the old 1600 gearbox you will have to change the 2 litre flywheel or why not fit a Type 9 5-speed whilst the engine is out. This fits the larger splines. I have not tried to fit a 1600 flywheel and clutch to a 2 litre but it may fit OK.
        I could go on but it all does fit together and would recommend one of the car engines as opposed to a thrashed , low compression, transit unit.
        Danny is very well up on the engine combinations. He can help with your choice. Good luck with it!
        Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Lee the Van/minibus engine has the same block and bottom end but the valves and cam are different to work with a lower compression to give less power and more torque. so a good van bottom end with a stage 1 fast road head and a type 9 5 speed box will give good results. the other thing to watch is carbs, it is very easy to over carb this engine, it will still run well, but use lots of fuel. 32/36 dgav webber off a cortina or capri seems to match quite well. Good luck Merv

Comment

HI TIM HAWKESWORTH, i will be in touch soon when ive had a good look around,not being funny but i do like to look before i buy LOL!!!

Comment

Hi Lee,
              Just a short addition to Danes advice about the flywheel. When I changed from 1600 to 2000 I found that the 1600 flywheel was of smaller diameter than the 2000. This of course also meant that the 1600 clutch was too small for the 2000. It does make sense to upgrade the entire engine, clutch and gearbox (5 speed) package.
              James

Comment

Working...
              X