Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo

Hello all,
    I know someone may have the answer to this. Is the speedo cable for a type 9 gearbox the same as a 4 speeder. With a lot of help from the Cumbrian Mafia, we changed the engine and gearbox in my Berli only for the speedo cable to snap right next to the drive, it was very difficult to install which makes me think it maybe different.
    Terry

Re: Speedo

I put a right angled drive into the gearbox (I think Caterham still do them) and it relieved the strain. I think I paid about £12 12 years ago so heavens knows what they are now but I think it was worth it in the long run

Comment

I fitted the typw 9 to my Berli. The existing (4 Sp Rocket box) speedo cable was long enought to fit but it was fiddly due to the small clearance between chassis members and the gearbox. I undid the cable from the speedo and pulled out the inner cable a bit. This made fitting the outer cable, flange and circlip much easier. A twist of the inner seated it and all connected up OK. A right angle drive would be good but I'm not sure I have the clearance for it. had to swap sides for my reversing light cable too.
      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Terry, this is a fairly old chestnut, and one that I encountered many years ago.
        The old 4 speed was being dumped and the new 5 went in without too much trouble, except for the cable. It fitted ok, but was too close to the gearbox support bar that ran underneath. On the 4 speed, the cable came down alongside the support bar and was not impeded., however, on the 5 speed, because the box is sligthly longer, the cable drive came out directly over the bar, and if you fitted it there, the turn was too tight and the speedo cable did not last, as you found out. The mod. that I did, was to move the bar about 1 to 2" rearwards, which was still under the gearbox holding down bolt and gave excellent access to the cable. This was in the 1990 period, and Marlins were told and I believe they modified later kits so that the problem was erradicated, for either gearbox. I believe that at that time , I wrote up an article for the Technical Tips, its probably still there. At that time, I did'nt have acces to clever little right angle gear boxes, and the mod. was the quickest and cheapest. regards Brian.

Comment

Many thanks Dane and Brian, I going to go for the right angle bend as you both have advised , it also seems the easiest solution. All I have to do is find out who's got them for sale (Anyone know).
          Terry

Comment

Hi Terry,
            Try www.europaspares.com Page 44 in the on line catalogue
            Ouch - not cheap
            Regards
            Tim

Comment

Terry you could give Speedy a try.

Comment

These gearbox right angles cost a fortune, cheapest was £60.00 and the most expensive was £105.00 excluding p&p. So a change of plan was required, yes I'll do it Brian's way, approximately £25.00.
                Thanks to all.
                Terry
                Terry

Comment

Have you tried typing 'right angle speedo drive' into Google or into ebay? There are plenty that are no where as near as expensive as you have been told. Take a look at:

www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-120694

Comment

Hi Keith,
                    The one that I need is a push in with surclip type. I should have also said, you have to either have your cable altered or buy a new one from them, because your Cortina cable is not a screw on type. Even so the 4 people I tried were more expensive.
                    Terry

Comment

Working...
                    X