bigger engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigger engine

hi chaps I'm considering going all out on the engine, currently i have a 2lt pinto from a cortina cast in 1987, so im locking for some ideas of which engine to choose i know it is written that the car will take the full range of ford engines + rover V8, but that's was back in 85
    i want some thing with a real kick but not an engineering nightmare to fit, also got to be careful as the car has never had SVA/IVA yet,i would like to run it on Santa pod next time i go down there, so any help would be appreciated.

Re: bigger engine

1987 would most likely be a Sierra Pinto. At a Ford rally this summer I parked next to what appeared to be an orange Mk III Cortina. The engine though, was a Cosworth Turbo with NOx injection. It has loads of BHP. The guy regularly runs it at Santa Pod. The engine and drive train is a work of art. For fun he has left the original 1.3 badges on the lower front wings!
    A lot can be done with the Pinto block which some early cossies used (the "205" block). There are V6 and V8 Berlis but it is more of a tourer than a racer. If your car is already registered it won't need an IVA. If not, why not take the IVA with a normal 2 litre pinto? After this you can beef up the engine and drive train. The type 9 gearbox and Atlas axle are pretty strong. I do not know much about the Sierra rear end if you have it but I would expect that to be tough too. Hopefully other Berli owners will tell you about their engine mods.
    Mine is a simple 205 block Pinto bored to 2.1, nice cam, big valves and fuel injection. Makes for a nice fast tourer with good fuel consumption.
    Good luck!
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Arty - dont forget that if it needs IVA the emissions will be tested in accordance with the engine fitted (by its date too) so a modern lump will need a catalytic converter too (post 93 I think). However, you can get all sorts of engines to fit - see Jez Cox's Rover T type conversion for example.

Comment

Stop dreaming, keep it simple, and get it on the road first!
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Santa Pod? Santa Pod? I think the best bet is for you to try to get it ready for Santa Clause ;-)

Comment

Working...
          X