Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust

Hi all,
    After going progressivly deaf in one ear and quickly running out of rusty metal to patch up, I've decided to replace my side-exhaust with a standard rear-exit model. I'll just have to remember to slow down for speed-humps.

Ive acquired an old Sierra 2ltr pinto manifold from ebay but realized that the downpipe doesn't quite clear the driver's footwell.

My Berl is Cortina-based, does anyone know if the standard Cortina manifold & downpipe will clear the footwell? Haven't seen one of these on ebay so would be grateful if anyone knows of one lying about.

Also, does anyone know if the club still has access to any of the stainless silencers/systems that YKC used to sell?

I've had a few quotes of £300+ quote to get a replacement stainless system installed and you can buy a lot of jelly beans for that :-)

Any suggestions welcome,
    Cheers
    Matt

Re: Exhaust

Hi Matthew,
    I have a dead Mk5 Cortina Estate with a 2.0 Pinto in it. The manifold is still there but I cann't check if it will fit a Cortina based Berli as my Berli. is Sierra based. If this is any use please come back to me.
    How about joining MOC,a £15-00 sub now will get you 8 magazines and no need to pay another penny until Jan 2012; you can of course also get discounts on insurance and on spares from some suppliers.
    Regards
    Tim Hawkesworth

Comment

Hi Tim
      Am already a member thanks- just forgot to update the correct box on the forum!

That's interesting, do you keep the Cortina for spare parts?

Perhaps somebody else on the forum may know if the Cortina downpipe will fit or needs some modifying?

Cheers!
      M

Comment

Hi Matthew,
        The Berlinetta was designed to use the Cortina manifold and the front downpipe, and front part of the exhaust all as standard. The rear part reqd a little alteration.
        Regards
        Danny.

Comment

Hi Matthew,
          Just confirming what Danny wrote, the Cortina manifold and downpipe does clear the footwell. I have found that if you are going to have a system made it is better to take it straight back, without the Cortina bends that transverse the exhaust pipe to the left-hand side (near side). Going straight back you can gain a few inches ground clearance.
          Regards
          James

Comment

Hi all
            Thanks for the tips. I agree about taking the exhaust straight back, not sure what advantage is gained by trans-versing the car as per the build manual. Perhaps a bit quieter..?

Going to try some softer springs first then check ground clearance!

Thanks all
            Matt

Comment

Mathew, I seem to remember an article in Pitstop way back in time. Someone took the exhaust out the side panel as for a side pipe. They then made up a pipe to go to the back, under the running board and over the axle resulting in a tailpipe at the rear RHS. I'm afraid that is all I remember but it did solve the ground clearance problem, and in my case, the deaf right ear from my side exhaust. Maybe the correspondent may read this and remind us of the design.
              Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Dane,
                That was Jim Rogers Berlinetta, he came from Buckinghamshire, but he sold the car some years back, and I have lost track of it. You are right about the exaust and it worked well, I can confirm, because I got to drive the car. I had forgot about this one.
                Regards
                Danny.

Comment

I'll have a look back in my archived copies and see if I can find that article for you Matthew.

Comment

So what about tubular manifold what fits what and were do you get one at without paying a mortgage.

Comment

this is what is on my berli,its 4 branch sports exhaust, a 4-2-1 and straight to the back no probs, you are looking any where between £50 and £100, if you do manage to find one don't hesitate buy it quick because the banger racing lads will have it. I'm putting a new BURTON tuned engine in but keeping the down pipe

Comment

how do i edit my post cos the pic dont work its 200x200
                        Attached Files

Comment

its ok done it.

Comment

found one on ebay Item number: 320616974329
                            Attached Files

Comment