Clutch Change on Triumph GT6 based Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Change on Triumph GT6 based Roadster

Could someone please provide me with the sequence for getting at the Clutch Assembly (to fit a new one) on my Triumph GT6 Mk2 based LWB Roadster (Marina back axle)? CHEERS

Re: Clutch Change on Triumph GT6 based Roadster

Remove engine, change clutch, replace engine.
    Test.
    Enjoy !!
    P.S. Sujest full service at the same time.

www.dorsetgregg.webs.com

Comment

Hi Paul, Gregg is right but Im sure you where looking for a bit more help. You will find it useful to equip yourself with a work shop manual. You will probably need to remove the radiator and its surround to give room to lift the engine out. I found that also removing the carbs and generator made more room.Make sure you support the gearox.
      Allow for the fact that the six is very heavy and you need a good crane with the reach to lift it.
      While the engine is out have a good look at the core plugs on the back of the head and block check they are not corroded or leaking.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks Ben , I've aquired both a GT6 workshop manual and a Marina manual (for the back axle). I can follow the guidance for clutch change from that but wondered if I needed additional guidance for the job on a Marlin. Many thanks Paul

Comment

I had to do this earlier this year. I removed the radiator surround, headlight assembley, radiator, front carburetor.

I then lifted the car a couple of inches and placed some substantial blocks of wood (bits of railway sleeper) under the engine to support it, I then lowered the car removed the bell hosing bolts, exhaust etc. I then placed a trolly jack under the gearbox. With the engine supported (as described above) I removed the engine mounts, I was then able to push the car (and gearbox) back whilst the engine remained still. There was just sufficient space to undo the the bolts holding the clutch to the fly wheel and change the clutch. It would be advisable to have an assistant hold the engine steady whilst you do this.

This was in a Mk1 car so I think there may be a bit more space under the bonnet of a hybrid.

Comment

Paul, Another thing to check is the release fork where it rocks on the pivot check for cracks around the dimple and clip that goes onto the domed post.

Comment

I did all this to my Morris Minor on the 2nd rebuild in 2009 with alot of pics on my website if that helps at all ?
              www.dorsetgregg.webs.com
              Have fun........... Gregg
              Attached Files

Comment

Many thanks , all advice most gratefully received. my confidence to start the task is groing by the knowledge shared... cheers Paul

Comment

COULD EVEN BE "GROWING"

Comment

I remember doing the job on a Mk1 GT6. It was easy as the gearbox would come out through the cabin after removing the tunnel cover of course.
                    I have a Berli and after removing the cowling and rad have taken the engine and gearbox out together many times. I like doing it this way as a quick alignment of the clutch is easy with a lot of space. Make sure that you use a good alignment tool as I remember the first motion shaft in the GT6 was a tightish fit on the new clutch splines.
                    Good luck - it is pretty straightforward.
                    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Paul. Where in the county are you, can't be too far away.If you need another set of hands with this job give me a call on 01629813478. Regards David.

Comment

Thanks for your offer David , much appreciated , but have offers from Neighbours if needed..( Oh and I live in Dronfield ) I will keep your number in case .. Cheers

Comment

Hi Paul, Hope the clutch change is going to plan probably a bit chilly in the garage.
                          I dont think I have details of your hybrid on the register
                          so any chance you could email me the reg and chassis number when your in the warm. Thanks Ben Caswell

Comment

Working...
                          X