Forum and Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum and Things

WOW! Where did all that come from? A rather ambiguous thread seems to have opened up a whole can of worms ranging from constructive ideas like a Marlin is born to negative ones that can only be described as a rather rude slanging match.

When I was struggling to sort out my rich running saga (Hunter / Land Rover V8 Disco) I was indebted to such forums as the Range Rover Owners Club, The 4x4 club, The Morgan V8 to name but a few. Also when I was researching the Hot Running sequel I gleaned much useful info from the Westfield and Caterham type forums. None of these required me to register or join their clubs but as a non member they did prevent me from posting threads (i.e. specific questions). In other words I had to do my own research, the results of which were very rewarding.

For my two pennyworth on a positive note I would like to add the following suggestions for the MOC website:

• The forum should only allow posting of threads by members.
    • The forum should only allow posting classifieds by members.
    • Non members should be allowed to access the site for technical information and do their own research. There is already a search facility to assist this.
    • The above would make the controversial member Yes / No feature redundant.
    • Any non members with sufficient interest to join the club can already access the “Contact us” or “Membership” links. Maybe a further “first time” discount could be offered to new members joining this way?
    • Yes the website is a bit creaky but could easily be tidied up a bit. I would suggest that if it’s primary function is to serve existing members well then potential new members will want to be part of this scene.
    • A new category “Monthly Meets” should be added to the forum to increase visibility of these. Maybe a photo of the venue could be added with the post to add interest?
    • A new category “Database” could be added to the forum. This would probably be preferred as a “Members Only” link to a new tabulated Database section, with info listed by model type, where members could voluntarily add parts details for their cars to assist others. e.g. Cabrio / Front suspension Bushes / Supplier / Part No. With so many variants of the same models this could be a first point of reference for those with queries about their own cars. Once solved they could then add their own info so the database could expand rapidly. It would also help to reduce the tendency for repeats of the same questions.

Peter.

Re: Forum and Things

Well said Peter.

Sounds just like one of the biggest Classic Car clubs - 'The Stag Owners Club'. This is pretty much how that forum & website works.

They charge £32 annual membership with an additional £5 joining fee. I was tempted to join, but couldn't justify the cost.

So £15 for the MOC isn't that expensive.

Neil Ryland.

Comment

Just a thought, what is the business model of madabout? Free to join, a modern looking forum, and a few ads in the for-sale section. There are some links to ebay, though nothing too obtrusive.

From my limited browsing of the internet there seems to be many forums based on the way madabout works. Is there an -'off the shelf' product that with some configuring (i.e. logging in, main subjects etc) that MOC can use at little/no cost?

Comment

Quite a few forums seem to be using 'vBulletin' including madabout.

I think that is an 'off the shelf' product.

Comment

Thanks for your ideas Peter.

We have to date agreed the following for a new website:

Pages:

Home – Welcome page

Club History

Cars – members only to add photos and text

Membership – On line application but updated from the current set up.

Club Goods – We're looking into PayPal (!)

Representatives

Contact Us

Forum:
          Categories:–

* Roadster inc. Romero, Julietta etc
          * Berlinetta
          * Cabrio./Hunter
          * Sportster
          * 5Exi
          * Miscellaneous
          * Classifieds – Members only
          * Events: - What's on, What's happened, Local meets

Whilst I don't like to exclude non-members as there are genuine lookers out there who are wanting information to help them make up their mind to buy or build, it does gall me that there are non members benefiting from the site in exactly the same way as members. So it doesn't encourage non members to join, especially if they are not bothered about receiving the rag. however a new site WILL restrict non-members benefits, we just haven't decided whether that should include forum posting. My personal feelings are changing and I am veering towards the norm, which is to restrict posting of threads and have a read-only access.

Archived Pitstop copies – Members only access to archived issues of Pitstop

Club constitution

Links

There will be advertising but hopefully subtle. We don't want them to dominate the site.

So, we know what we want and will take on board more stuff ie the Database. We have lots of ideas for a very exciting and modern new website. The only sticking point is who does the site and how much. Yes, there are free programs we can use but free stuff has its limitations and lack of support. So we are trying to get a good value site but for the right price and once we agree who is to do what work, we can at last proceed.

Sue

Comment

I agree completely with Peter. I have posted in the "Members or not members" subject thread (miscellaneous) an attempt to clarify (mainly for myself) where I feel that the basic problem lies. The constitution clearly prioritises the club as a "membership" club, for and of the members. Should the website be completely open for everyone then we really do need to look at amending the constitution (Sorry Lee but perhaps we should do that anyway?)In §10:3 it clearly states that non-members should not "be entitled to attend any meetings or otherwise participate in the proceedings of the Club". Actively participating on the Forum is to my mind participating in the proceedings of the Club.
            I have always thought that one way of enticing non-member Marlin owners would be to charge an admission fee of say £10 on top of the first year's membership fee and for that they would also receive "Tech tips" for the car that interests them/they own and the window sticker "My other car is a Marlin"

Comment

Hi James. Another club I belong to is the Pajero owners club. (I know, sad or what!). They allow anyone to read and research anything on their forum but one needs to be a member to post items and requests. This is in line with your thinking about rule 10.3.
              And to answer one obvious question, yes, the truck does go wrong maybe more often than my Berli so, like other owners, I need the help and advice from the forum to make slick repairs to keep the thing running well.
              Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

i thought i'd add my thoughts to the debate.I am not a member but was previously,didnt renew as i was saving frantically for travelling,and now i've returned and am broke!Many people,in my opinion,will browse carefully the forum section of any club they intend to join,it's a good way to get a feel for how things are within the club...i feel excluding non-members would be a mistake and cost you potential members.I was also a member of FDMC,my local motorsports club,which has a free access forum but member only posting.Their website is worth a look,its not flashy but easy to use and has great event reports,viewing it made me want to join.As others have pointed out,failing to encourage new members can be the end of a club,and i have noticed a "you are not one of us" attitude in some posts.This is certain to discourage new members,and is a real shame as the club has much to recommend it.
                I think a new website is a good idea but it doesnt need to be all singing and dancing,just updated a little.
                And yes,i shall renew,as soon as i have some money!
                So thats what one of the aforementioned "younger" members has to say.Hope it helps..

Comment

Thanks for your input Andy.

Comment

Working...
                  X