Lands End to John O'Groats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lands End to John O'Groats

I like Jez's idea so I thought it might pay to explore it a bit. The figures are all approximations but should give a feel for the type of costs involved.

L.E. to J.O'G. approx 900 miles. We have to drive to the start point and drive home again at the finish so double it = 1800 miles. Assume 30mpg on non-motorway = 60 gallons = 273 ltr. = £360
    Assume 5 hours driving / day and if non-motorway then average 30mph = 150miles per day = 12 days. Using motorways to get to start and from finish at say average 50mph (food & loo stops) for 5 hours = 250 miles so perhaps total target 10days/nights. Assume £30/day food & drink and hopefully negotiate with a chain for £30/night where possible = £600 for one in a car and perhaps £800. This figure could be drastically reduced if camping but that might create difficulties with getting up & away each morning for 10 mornings. So if I am not wildly out, we are looking at a figure of around £1000 for one and £1200 for two in a car. The next question is who is up for it and when could it be fitted into the MOC calendar. Does anyone want to add to/correct any of this.

I like the idea of raising funds for charity but I have absolutely no experience in doing it at this level? Any more thoughts?

Re: Lands End to John O

Your figures, in principle, look fine.
    Sadly not for me, as after a 20 minute taxi ride to Gatwick, I would be on a plane to Cape Verde, and be sitting in a beach bar with a Mojito. It would cost me about the same and I would not suffer from a bad back for the following few months.

Comment

sadly not for me as a working girl as I have such limited holidays, I couldn't fit in 12 days. However I would consider meeting the travellers part way along a section.

Comment

Interesting, must give it some thought or there is this :-
        http://www.guildofmotorendurance.co.uk/2012/2012%20Promo.pdf. Just a bit longer and looking at the list of entrants already entered is a Sportster. Surely worth a shot.

Comment

I reckon that one could achieve 400 to 450 miles in a day without too much trouble. Last year I drove two long trips from Cornwall. One to NE Lincolnshire (over 300 m) and later Holyhead and back. Cheryl and I decided that the Lincs sortie would avoid motorways when possible and just use A or B roads. It was great fun and we averaged much more than 30 all the way. One does need to get the seats sorted though. My small 7½ gallon tank is good as I have to refuel at around 200 miles so I get a leg stretch every two and a half to three hours
          As I said in an earlier post how about a Marlin non-stop LE to JoG and back but run as a relay. Peeps could drive as little or as much as they wanted. Only one ar maybe two nightstops would be needed but I suppose there are a lot less Marlins in Mid to North Scotland to share the task there!
          The huge price of fuel could make thetrip expensive which is where the relay style would be easier on the wallet.
          I love night driving so I would be one of the volunteers to take any graveyard watch - how about starting from LE at midnight?
          Just a few musings for consideration. Good idea Keith.
          Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

I would do it no problem, could get sponsorship from the club and kitcar magazines, use one of my old roadsters.

Comment

I don't think we could fit it in this year or next as holiday allocation already used up for other Marlin events and our classic club events

Comment

I'd love to do the GoME. Pete Crowther has entered with his Sportster.

Comment

I've done Essex to Scotland in 8 hours. 444 miles. Not much of an avarage speed (55.5) but that was quite tough. I stopped for 2 x 15 minute breaks only!

Comment

I am sure loads of us would like to take part in a LEJOG run but cost, time, hols etc preclude for most of us. Just an idea, how about a relay round the country for charity? If participants donated a tenner and passed a "baton" to somebody else at their home or a pre-arranged meeting point. This could be done over a few weeks and co-ordinated using the forum and mobile phones. I would like to think we could get at least 100 people to take part and cover most of the country. Just an idea.
                    Franklin, Leicester

Comment

I've suggested the round UK relay on another post. It could be done non-stop over a long weekend. It would certainly make the news!

Comment

If we planned to changeover in eateries and advertised well in advance and got permission to take a collecting bucket around at each changeover and as long as it is a national charity i.e. well known, e.g. McMillan Cancer support nurses, we should be able to boost any collection considerably.

Comment

It's a nice idea, but a hellish thing to organise.
                          I don't think we are a big enough club or have the resources to complete a true round Britain Run.
                          The appointment of several regional co-ordinators would be essential.
                          Imagine the chaos if a single changeover fails. Each changeover would need mobile phone numbers of two cars either side in case of delay, breakdown etc.

If we as a club struggle to agree on even some basic ideas for the future of the MOC, are we in a position to co-ordinate a national event?

Prove me wrong, please, Stoneleigh is the place to discuss it.

Comment

Steve,

We will always have arguments over how the club is run and what it provides. This is admin compared to the actual operating of our cars on the road. People want to drive the cars but go a bit dot-crossed over club constitution. Sadly one would be away from the myriad of chat sites on the internet but only for a couple of hundred miles or so.

I can see the face of burocracy could invade this topic.
                            Two or three cars can be at each RV. It only needs one to make the distance on each leg. It would need one coordinator who would work with one main contact for each leg.
                            It could even be a bit like a gumball rally - although obviously in name only as we are not permitted to hold rallies on the roads in this country without backing from big motor organisations, police and the Arbutt Beano's of this pleasant land
                            We also need to inspect the micro nif-naf on our insurance schedules too.
                            Stoneleigh is the place to thrash this out if peeps are interested.
                            If anyone has organised anything like this before, now is the time to hide!
                            Must get Moll's front brakes and bearings finished - nearly there.

Comment

To grab the attention of the press we could take a hot pastie from the Mayor of, say, Penzance and deliver it to he Mayor of, say, Inverness and return the compliment by bringing back a hot haggis, both kept warm in a suitably fashioned container in engine bays. Whether or not they would elect to actually consume them but what a story.

Comment

Working...
                              X