Electric Window problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Window problem

My nearside (electric) window has suddenly stopped working on my Hunter, fortunately in the "up" position. I have checked and cleaned the switch connections and the motor connections in the door. No idea where the fuse is for he window motors but the ones on the bulkhead under the bonnet are all ok. However when the switch is pressed the voltmeter "kicks" slightly so I guess some current is reaching he motor. I would have expected a siezed motor to blow a fuse. I first noticed it after the recent MOT so I am wondering, as the windows don't seem to have limit switches, whether the motor has been allowed to run when the window was fully up and somehow jammed the gearing? Again I would have thought that would also have blown a fuse. Anyone else had a similar problem, or any ideas for a fix? Peter.

Re: Electric Window problem

Hi Peter.
    If yours is a Sierra based cabro then the electric windows are those fitted to the Sierra. They do not have an electical limit switch, but they have some form of mechanical limit which just stalls the motor. Since the stalled motor doesn't blow any fuses I would expect that a defective motor, unless it has developed a short circuit, would not blow a fuze either.

Its possible that the motor or gears have jammed. Have you removed the trim so you can see the motor and winder mechanism?

BTW if you need any little blue plastic wheels that everthing runs on I have loads. I replaced them when I built the cabrio and Ford sold them in bags of 25, and I only needed 10. Anybody can have the spares for the cost of postage.

Comment

Some fords use a controller that is like a little black box that plugss into the back of the fuse box. This can come loose or fail.
      If the volt meter reacts to the operation of the switch it maybe a relay that is taking the juice but not switching to actuate the window.
      I would think you would hear the relay clicking. Are you sure the window isnt just stuck. Try giving the window a helping hand as you operate the switch.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Spray everything, most importantly the window rubbers, with silicon spray lubricant. I had the same problem with my wife's 2 year old Honda Jazz and that fixed it immediately.

Comment

try swopping the switch for the other side. At least you will know the switch is alright.
          It is posible to put a live feed to the window winder via the connector which must be around the dor hinge, either inside the door or the car trim. but to do this you would be best taking the window lifter out of the door.

Comment

Many thanks to you all for your suggestions. The glass is free in the felt channels. I had the door trim off and tried the "mechanical persuasion" to the mechanism to no avail. Mine is Sierra based so the relay / black box is the next port of call. I didn't know about the black box, but if there are no limit switches I guess its function is to detect current rise in the motor circuit when the window reaches the limit of its travel (or someones finger) and cuts off the supply to the motor automatically? Will let you know the outcome, as and when I find the relay! Being part Sierra and part Rover (for the V8i they are hanging off the loom like bunches of bananas. :-( Peter.

Comment

I don't think all Sierras had a black box. Mine took the supply straight from the ignition switch then went through the up/down switches.

When putting my wiring in I used the Sierra switchgear and wires that had run to the door, and one side didn't work because there was a break in the wire.
              While trying to diagnose the problem I connected the motor directly across the battery (through a 15 amp in line fuse) to check it was OK, so its all right to connect the motor across the battery to test it. Have you tried that?

Comment

I don't know whether or not it will help you find the relay but I have scans of the original Ford wiring manual section on powered windows. Email me on keithh44(at)sky.com if you think they will be of use.

Comment

Well how about this. I went for a run in the car today, pressed the window switch and hey presto it worked! Now I am really confused. Many thanks for the offer Keith. I will bear it in mind. Thanks for the suggestion Chris. I am also suspecting the wiring, especially in the door hinge area or any connectors inboard of that, as maybe something is moving when the door is opened and shut. Peter.

Comment

Hi Peter.
                    I had a similar problem with my last landrover (yes it had electric windows) Found after getting a new switch and it working sometimes that the wireing in the door hinge area to the window had broken and the wires were touching some of the time. New wireing fitted with connectors and it was fine. Regards Liz

Comment

Chris
                      Do you have any of the plastic wheels left?
                      I am just completing my windows and would appreciate a new set of wheels.
                      Regards
                      Mike

Comment

Mike,
                        I think I saw some in the back of the garage recently. Send me an email with your address and I'll check tonight and post them on if I can find them. My address is chris.cussen(at) talktalk.net
                        Chris

Comment

Chris

Wheels received: many thanks. Drink voucher on its way.
                          Mike

Comment

Mike
                            Drinks voucher received - thanks
                            Chris

Comment

Working...
                            X