Membership maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Membership maps

I asked to have the thread pulled as I had caused concern to some members for which I apologise. The intent was to show member locations to the nearest town and what I had forgotten was that some addresses show the street on address line 2 because of a house name being on line 1 (my own included). I have embarked on the process of going through the whole database and making sure I only genuinely use towns at which point I hope the maps will be of interest/use and will not cause offence

Re: Membership maps

Look forward to seeing it Keith

Comment

Keith,
      I accept your apology for this mistake but whilst the links have been removed from this forum, but I noticed tonight that the maps are still available on the public internet and you have not removed my personal details from the map as I requested.
      I would be grateful that in future you ask me first if you wish to use my personal information and suggest you do the same for other members of this club.
      Having already complained to Tim in private last night I am annoyed that this has not been done and even more surprised to see another committee member endorsing this initiative tonight.
      I think the map idea is OK and a similar initiative is available from one of the Marlin 5exi owners. The difference there is that is is voluntary scheme and you have control what information is posted.

Good idea, but please think carefully about the consequences of what you are posting in the public domain without permission.

Comment

Peter,
        I can only re-iterate my apology for upsetting you. It was not Tim's fault, it was mine alone. I asked for data on member location at a town level and car type and certainly no names and therefore would not be using personal details. I have explained above what went wrong. As soon as I saw your complaint I did two things, I asked that the thread be removed and I asked that the maps be removed. The guy who hosts the mapping system has not got back to me yet and as soon as he does I will endeavor to get them removed. I have certainly not ignored your wishes and all I can do is to ask for your patience. If I had had to ask 550 members for permission to use a town/car type statistic I am sure we both know the outcome, I would have had 70 - 100 replies and nothing would have got done.

Comment

Keith,
          I think what has happened here is in breach of the clubs constitution clause 13.1 and Appendix 3(b)
          Lee has assured me tonight he will investigate what has gone wrong.
          Like I said, a good idea so long as you approach it the right way.

Comment

Perhaps we can consider this matter closed now. Action has been taken.

Comment

Sorry Sue but I can't tell you how depressed I feel right now. I have just realised that Peter is not one of the folk who have had a street name revealed so all this is because my sin was to put into the public domain the fact that we have member who lives in the town/village of XXX. Not a name nor an address but nothing more than the fact that we have a member living in that town. I am truly saddened and unbelievably down.

Comment

Sue,

this matter is not closed since Keith insists on continuing to posting my personel details in the public domain. Please have this thread removed because Keith has now posted my location in this thread, which was my original request to him remove.

Thank you, Peter

Comment

My goodness Peter, you really have got the bit between your teeth. I deliberately didn't say it was you who lives in XXX, I merely said a member. It was you made the connection by saying it is you. What I am somewhat bemused about is the fact that you have released photographs of your rather nice car for inclusion in the calendar, clearly showing your registration and another parked outside a house, which I am guessing is yours but may or may not be where the house name and street no. are clearly visible. You will note that I have not said what these are as, believe it or not, I do respect your privacy. At what point does a club statistic become personal details. Clearly, personal details are used to create statistics but that doesn't mean personal data is jeopardised when the statistics are published. Do you know how many members live within say a 5 mile or 10 mile radius of you? If I had grouped the figures to say how many members were within the first half of the UK postcodes and had multiple pins in each of those areas would you have insisted that I removed one of the pins. The thing that is really confusing me is that I have apologised twice for upsetting you and you have accepted that apology, you have even said it is a good idea as long as I approach it the right way. Please help me out here. I don't think there is anyone out there who doesn't think it is a good idea, including yourself. I am continuing to try and put right the problem you have identified and I will be more than happy to look at the approach you propose that will do it the right way and that isn't me trying to be a smart a**e. It is a genuine offer to ask you to help me create what will be an interesting and useful club asset on the website.

Comment

Peter, please note that Keith is not continually posting your personal details onto the public domain. I'd like to know what exactly you think is the problem with having the name of your village on a map?
                    Keith did not post extra information about your address. This is something that Google have done.Perhaps you'd like to take up the matter with Google?
                    This is getting blown up out of all proportion. Please calm down.

Comment

I forgot to mention, the maps should now be deleted. If anyone wants to experiment please be warned, you cannot edit or delete a map once it is saved

Comment

Keith has little to be concerned about.

His maps do not contain names or full addresses. As such they do not contravene the Data Protection Act, they are just a list of towns associated with Marlins.

The pointer for my location is about 1 1/2 miles out of true position, hardly a problem and I guess that many are the same distance away. It is only for those whose road names are mentioned that I showed concern but these were very few and far between.

Peterx has changed his web location from Uxbridge to Middlesex on this forum, in an attempt to distance himself from his true location. However there are cached pages on many Search engines that still retain 'Uxbridge' and will continue to do so for many months. Will Peterx be contacting each of these individually?

I have sympathy for Keith who was trying to be proactive for the MOC. He made one small error in not double checking the data. I am sure he truly regrets it.

I understand some of Peterx's position and I am sure Keith is trying to rectify the issue and deleting Peterx's data, but it is telling that he could not identify Peterx on his maps in the first instance.

Sorry Peterx. You have drawn unwelcomed attention to yourself. Better to have kept quiet and none of us would have bothered. This issue could have been handled quietly and privately with Keith. Instead it is rapidly becoming vituperative.

Comment

Hello Peter

You seemed to have had a little pop at me, which is OK. Forgive me but I would like to use the words of Steve here. Keith has not broken any laws, and it is accepted you are upset. Again as Steve put it, if you had quietly asked for the thread to be removed and the maps taken off, you would not have brought so much attention to yourself. Keith has apologised, can you accept his apology and leave it there.

Comment

Keith,
                            I'm sorry you got so much hassle for your well intentioned efforts. Some of the critisism you have had has been disproportionate to youe 'offence' of not asking if the members wanted their locations defined.
                            Curiously enough one of your main critiques, peterux (whose pseudonym gives away part of his location) has his Sportster defined on this map, http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111994729502750855611. 000450b338d524c1d8abf&ll=53.67068,4.306641&spn=7.7 75073,19.6875&z=6 . To get on the map you have to contact the webmaster and ASK for your car/location to be put on it.
                            So Peterux is really being a bit of a hypocrit at the moment.

Comment

Even with my creaky old computer I tracked him down to within a tenth of a mile. Thanks to Madabout and Google.
                              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
                              X