Lands End to John O'Groats relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lands End to John O'Groats relay

Dane, Jez - I am not trying to hijack your ideas I am just trying to lay down some stuff as a basis for discussion at Stoneleigh. I unintentionally caused a stir with creating the map but at least it gave me pockets of owners. What do you think about 50 mile legs with 3 per team. That means each team does 100 miles (to the changeover, the actual leg and then home again) with an average of 30mpg makes fuel costs bearable. If we zig-zag up country bit and stay off motorways we could have changeovers around say

Bodmin
    Exeter
    Bridgewater
    Chippenham
    Evesham
    Bridgenorth
    Knutsford
    Harrogate
    Bishop Auckland
    Hexham
    Haywick
    Queensferry
    Pitlochry
    Inverness
    Wick

What do we do about Scotland? The membership is very sparse and the legs would have to be much longer?

Patently, members in these locations will have better local knowledge and so might want to suggest a different location

Is the Pastie idea totally bonkers or does it create a newsworthy theme. (If we go with it what would be the punishment if someone ate it?!?)

Do we organise an overnight stop somewhere or go through the night.

Can anyone give some thoughts to the sponsorship side of things?

All up for grabs, what do you think?

Re: Lands End to John O

Hi Keith, I am working in Newcastle/Carlisle at the moment and depending when you aim to do this I could do the Hexham to Haywick leg maybe along with Lee our chairman.

Comment

I may have to buy a replacement Pastie.

Comment

Hi All,I will do the last leg Carlisle to the end ??

Adrian you popping over for a beer ?? if your about.

Comment

Are we thinking Around Britain or just LEJOG..? Obviously the latter is a little easier to organize but the former is a bit more challenging...i.e. dual routes, more changeovers etc and a Pasty up to JOG with a Haggis back to LE...(plus spares).

Depending on dates I'd be happy to consider a Shropshire to Carlisle leg.

I'm thinking a non-stop event...up to individuals if they want to camp/stay on completion of a handover. But the general idea would be non-stop over a long weekend - ideally a car would do the entire course but with fuel prices the way they are a relay is a sensible compromise.

As regards sponsorship I'd like to see the club chip something in, with participants raising what they can (simply partaking & fuel costs are quite a commitment). Also club engagement with the kit car/motoring press would be good. Maybe get some buckets at changeovers (Keith you suggested something like this originally). Decide on a charity and then contact them to see what they can do to help...(Help for Heroes would be my nomination).

Something to debate at Stoneleigh maybe...(if there's time what with other stuff!?).

All credit to you Keith for keeping the idea going.
          Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
          Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Have a look at this page it was Oct 2010

http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/comps/mxcontent.cgi?pid=3
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi guys

I'm liking the idea of a relay. I wonder if we should try to get at least two cars per leg un case one gas to withdraw?

I'm happy to cover an Essex stretch and happy to help organise.

Comment

Well spotted Ben – just proves it can be done. When I started this thread I only put up a oneway relay but now Lee has volunteered to do Carlisle to J O’G perhaps we can persuade him to turn round and come back as the start of the Haggis journey
                (370 miles each way Lee – 740miles pretty much non-stop – a hell of a tall order!?)

I envisage at least 3 cars per leg (and hopefully more where we have large pockets of members) otherwise we won’t attract any real media attention.

Jez, if we are going to support Help for Heroes do you know anyone there and if so can you contact them prior to Stoneleigh and see what help/advice they can offer regarding money raising and sponsorship ?

Comment

Keith I only offered H4H as a suggestion - if this event happens (which is really an issue for Stoneleigh/discussion) I think it is for the committee to decide/approve on any charity and make contact from there.

As regards the out/back equation...another option is to have a concurrent start from either end...but someone still has to get to JOG for that to happen..!
                  Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                  Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Sould the committee decide that Help for Heroes is a worthwhile charity, I suggest that a good publicity location for a changeover would be the National Memorial Arboretum, a bit out from Keiths suggested route and not so easy to get to without using Motorways.
                    http://www.thenma.org.uk
                    If there is enough support, why not make it the start point, sending cars to Lands End and John O Groats simultaneously each returning a few days later with the Pastie and Haggis.

Comment

Working...
                    X