BMW engine shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW engine shutdown

The engine decided to shutdown on me about a mile from home tonight. Was about to ring RAC when I decided I would attempt start again -this time success only to shutdown again i/4 mile from home.Pushed with help from good samaritan into garage . Further attempts to start finally got engine running for about 2 minutes but very lumpy, then cut out once more.
    Any ideas?
    The car ran perfectly last week all the way to Cotwolds and then out to Bakewell on Saturday and local trips in between.
    Fuel in tank but have done no further checks as yet.

Re: BMW engine shutdown

Hi Alan
    Are the fuel pump(s) running? I had mine pack up on the V8 last year, and the car just coasted to a halt. After several attempts I heard the pump start up again, and the car ran until the pump died again. I found a tap with a small hammer would free it, but I had to replace it in the end.

I guess on a BMW setup, you have a low pressure pump at the back and a high pressure pump nearer the injectors. So you have two to check, on carbs I only had one and it always gave an audible tick when running. Hope that helps.
    Dave

Comment

Dave
      Both pumps running. Engine \'catches\' momentarily but refuses to continue to run.I am going to try again later today on a cold engine to see what happens and whether or not engine temp has any bearing on the subject. Considering using Rac home start service on the basis that they will hopefully just couple up to the diagnostic plug and saving myself a lot of searching and maybe making Stoneleigh as planned!

Comment

Problem solved I hope - played around with fuel injector relay and bingo it ran.Cleaned contacts as well as I can but will replace relay as soon as i can obtain a replacement. It is a 5 pin unit with the following numbers if anyone can help -Siemens V23134-C52-X90 or BMW 12.63 1729004

Comment

There is a used one listed on ebay.
          http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-White-Siemens-Relay-12-63-1729004-/310297311479?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM& hash=item483f2938f7

Regards Austin

Comment

Thanks for that Austin.

Comment

Working...
            X