Light bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light bar

I am rebuilding an early MK2 Roadster which I bought in boxes. The light bar is very corroded and I would like a new one. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I am also struggling with the hood frame. It is a hinged affair but I don\'t seem to have any brackets to attach it to the car. Can anyone send me pictures to show me what I am looking for and where they should attach please.

Re: Light bar

Hi Mark
    Unless someone has an unwanted lamp bar( put a wanted in club classifieds) you may find it easier to get yours polished and rechromed or to have one remade in stainless.

Assuming your car has the moulding return on the rear body behind the seats, the original frame fitted into a socket that was centered 255mm above the top rear edge of the door.
    To get some idea of how it fits have a look at www.tiyen.com/moc mk2 pdf which is a copy of the build manual. You may find the technical tips from club goods may also help.
    Unfortunately pictures wont post here at present.

Best of luck with your rebuild
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I know a friendly stainless engineering workshop just up the road. If there is any interest I could see how much he would want for making up a batch of stainless headlamp bars, or if no other iterest, a cost for a one of?
      Anyone else interested?
      Mike

Comment

Hi Mike if a batch of stainless is possible i would definitely be interested, especially if they could have a extra pair of brackets to mount a set of driving lights below Merv Boston

Comment

My chrome is beginning to rust up. I might get it re-chromed but if some are being made in srainless at a reasonable price I could be interested.

Advantage of stainless is that extra personalised brackets can be welded on at a later date without destroying the finish.

Comment

Thanks guys Ben my car does not have a moulding return on the back so this poses a problem. I am going to Newark on Saturday so hopefully there will be a roadster or two there to look at.
            Mike I would defiantly be interested in a price for a stainless bar especially with the extra brackets on it, please keep me informed mark.westbrookwhite(at)gmail.com

Comment

Mike, I would also be interested in a stainless headlamp bar if the price was reasonable. I had mine re-chromed a few years ago but it is starting to bubble up again.

Comment

Guys, I\'ll talk to my local engineer and let you know.
                Mike

Comment

Hi Mark
                  If its any help the Mk1 cars(which also have no return) had longer legs on the main hood frame that locate into the chassis down behind the seats. But thats not a folding frame.
                  Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks Ben my car has a folding frame and no holes in the chassis where you describe although this is where I expected the frame to attach the only holes that are unexplained are in the capping on the doors but these are surely not relevant! I think my only choice is to look at other people’s cars then construct something that will do the job.

Comment

for the hood frame the Tech Tips booklet from the club has full details of a folding frame. Liz Billings used to have them for sale try that

Comment

I would also be very interested in a stainless light bar with extra brackets. Look forward with interest to the result of your enquiry

Comment

If anyone is interested, my local engineering workshop will make a stainless (316 grade - better quality to resist salt corrosion)headlamp bar, with laser cut ends and headlamp mounts for £65 each.
                          I can vouch for the quality being very good, but polishing will be left to you. This is easy enough if you buy a polishing kit and are prepared to get dirty! The finish can be brought up to chrome standards quite easily. If you want extra headlamp fixings, this can easily be accommodated too, just provide details on a sketch.
                          If anyone is interested, please contact me via email:
                          Mands(dot)garner(at)btinternet(dot)com or call on 01775 680450

Comment

Working...
                          X