Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing

Hi,
    I am only getting round to fixing my Marlin after the attempt to steal it.I had to put a new electronic points system in.I got the timing set in garage with strobe light but it is still not running right.The guy in the garage said I might need to change coil plugs and plug leads (it might sort it) I am getting a bad smell of petrol the car back fires and there is some pre ignition. Any help out there?

Re: timing

Current fuels are lower octane rating that the 1800 was designed for. Strobe timing may not therefore give good running. Adjust the timing manually to stop the pinking, easily done if you have a 25D4 distributor. Do not bother too much with timing marks as they are little better than a good starting point.
    Smell of petrol needs checking out. It could be many things. The current fuels with higher Ethanol content can harm old materials used for fuel lines and various seals.
    www.burlen.co.uk the parent company of SU has details.

At least you have the car starting and running after yur experience.

Comment

Re: timing

Recheck that the plug leads are firing in correct order 1,3,4,2, for \'A\' and B series engine and that you haven\'t timed it 180 degrees out.

Comment

Working...
      X