DIY Tracking gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Tracking gauges

Does any one have experience of using DIY tracking gauges? I'm told that many tyre places now charge £25 (or more) to check the tracking. A Gunson Trackrite is arround £60 so you wouldn't need to use it too often to get your money back.
    Has any one used one? Was it any good?

Re: DIY Tracking gauges

I made my own from a steel square section tube and two large angle brackets. At the end of the brackets I have two bolts mounted in rivnuts. I adjust the bolts to be a snug fit against the wheel rims at the front of the wheel and then check the rear. Each thread is 1mm pitch so I count any turns required to give a snug fit to the rear and go from there with the sums and adjustments. (I run very slight toe in. If you run toe out, fit to the rear first.) I don't seem to have had any odd tyre wear or strange handling so it must be set nearly correctly for my car.
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Get two good straight edges about 5 foot long and mark off the rim diameter about 6 inches from each end then use four blocks or axle stands to position the straight edges against the front wheels inline with the diameter marking on one end. You can then use a tape measure and measure the toe in on the other end of the straight edge at the second set of markings. A1 to A2 and B1 to B2.

--I-----I--------I-----I--
      wheel A1 B1

wheel A2 B2
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

The drawing compressed.

wheel.........A1....B1
        wheel.........A2....B2
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
        X