Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonnet prop ideas wanted

Guys
    This seems a simple idea for a kit-car enthusiast, but I am stumped on how to make a decent prop for each bonnet-half of my Hunter.

A few days after ownership, I made up a prop out of 15mm copper tubing, cut & bent appropriately
    at both ends to fit into the slots of the bonnet locking mechanism. This has worked fine, but requires storage behind the seats, and gets buried in hats, scarves and other bits.

However, this has always struck me as a poor idea for what was a very expensive factory-made kit of 1998. Hydraulic struts used on modern car tailgates, or telescopic stays per Car Builder Solutions, are two likely examples, but they cannot be mounted anywhere on the flimsy bonnet-halves or on the side-panels.

Has anyone cracked this problem, please?
    Cheers
    Mike

Re: Bonnet prop ideas wanted

Used 2 gas sturts, one for each side.
    I had to reduce the pressure in each but think that noe there is for sale by Europa or the like.

Comment

Hi Mike,

I used two conventional metal rods on my Cabrio which works absolutely fine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marlin_bmw_cabrio/3107537448/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marlin_bmw_cabrio/3107539486/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marlin_bmw_cabrio/3106706011/in/photostream/

Regards

Simon

Comment

Many thanks guys.
        Derek - I did think about hydraulic struts, when I was recently renewing same on the tailgate of my wife's A-class Merc. However, I just couldn't figure a way of attaching them to the flimsy bonnet-halves in particular, and then for the struts to slide out of harm's way when compressed.

Simon - Really like your car. Excellent bunch of pics. Haven't got around to taking that many of my Hunter, but from the one attached you will see that my two bonnet halves are not connected to the side panels, and hence are relatively flimsy. However, you have definitely given me some food for thought. Presumably, the metal rod is fairly bendy, to get the tailor-made shape. I think I've seen an aluminium version in Homebase or Wickes. Will keep a lookout when next in one of them at the weekend.

Cheers
        Mike
        Attached Files

Comment

Mike,
          Yours is very similar to my Roadster. I used ally rod hinged on a bolt at the bottom and pushing into a rubber gromet in a bracket at the top.It just lies along the angle on the side when not in use.
          Attached Files

Comment

And another
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Hugh
              Some more info to revue. I am not sure if I have enough clearance to accommodate the rod per your layout, but I will certainly do a few dummy runs to check.

Cheers
              Mike

Comment

Hi Mike
                I'm not sure where the bits came from for my set up as they were on the car when it came to me,it works a treat and i'm sure it would'nt be too hard to make something similar.
                See pics
                Stapley Bryan

Comment

More pics
                  One thing i should add is the box thingy on underside of bonnet(even if some could be found!) is a bit lumpy and it can get a bit tight for space depending what you have on top of bulkhead,in my case limited place to put Wiper motor!
                  But the general idea is a good one and i'm sure adaptable?
                  Regards
                  Bryan
                  Stapley Bryan

Comment

No pics Bryan. I'm trying to decide how to make them for my Roadster, so is there any chance you could send pics to me at :
                    dcunn(at)btinternet.com

T I A

Best Rgds DC

PS Hugh I'm looking at yours as well !

Comment

Mike,

If you contact me. details in Pitstop I will email you with some pics of a simple, compact and tidy design I have used. Pics to large for the forum.

Comment

Hi Mike
                        Will try do do something over w/e
                        Also try pics again here
                        Regards
                        Bryan
                        Stapley Bryan

Comment

Thanks guys
                          I've sussed out a simple way of propping the bonnet (why didn't I think of this before?) It comprises 2 x 1metre lengths of 10mm dia anodised aluminium tubing ex. Wickes DIY store, plus a few home-made brackets.

At the bottom is an L-shaped hinge arrangement, and at the top is another L-shape with a hole large enough to accommodate the end of tubing (now cut down to about 720mm long). The hinge is fitted to an existing screw, and the top bracket required a couple of holes in the edge of the bonnet, and pop-rivets to secure. Of course the bonnet is so light that the props are quite capable of holding up the weight.

Total cost was around £8 (for the tubing - the rest was scraps in stock). So I have chucked the oddball 15mm copper tubing that has done good service for around 2 years, and replaced with something that looks like it might have come with the car originally. Job done!

Cheers
                          Mike
                          Attached Files

Comment

I made a rectangular aluminium plate abount 9mm thick & machined an inverted L shaped slot with a recess behind so that the 90 degree end of the stainless steel rod would pass into the top slot & then drop down to locate. Other end is hinged behind edge lip of bonnet with simple spring clip to retain when not in use. all this is above the bonnet edge lip and therefore out of sight until needed. Hope this is of some help, could take photos & send if required.

Comment

Hi, although I have a Berli, the task is similar. Since inserting an air scoop into my LH bonnet top I have been unable to let the two halves rest on each other with one side open, one closed, as in the past.
                              I found some nice rectangular section ally tubing and cut this to length. This tube is often used in those modular shower curtain rails. The bottom of the tube locates on a handy set screw head and the top is shaped to fit snugly in to the already existing lugs for the bonnet catches.
                              The tube is stored in the bottom channel (yellow arrow)and is held in place when the bonnet is shut. There is plenty of room for this in the Berli. Pieces of thin adhesive backed chassis foam prevent movement and rattles. Cost £0 and each one weighs 66gm. I can open the bonnets single handed and both can be open simultaneously. Very old fashioned but it works!
                              Attached Files
                              Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Working...
                              X