Steering rack MOT fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Steering rack MOT fail

Alan I shall measure the old one when I take it out.

Comment

If I remember correctly from my plastics days polyeurathane is degraded by visible light, so the tie tod bushes are particularly vulnerable as they are pretty much out in the open. Anything trapped inside a steering rack I would have thought was OK.

Comment

Don if you need new rubbers (sic!) try :
        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marina-ital-Kitcar-X2-Steering-Rack-Mounting-Rubbers-/370532387522?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM& hash=item5645738ac2and

Alan I have spare used rack sitting in my shed condition etc unknown and could bring to Sheldon if that would help....tel me if you want to talk.

This of course is dependent on the Marlin getting fixed - just have to trace the **** in the carbs after the ignominy of a very very nice man taking us home last Sat !

Comment

I have just found out that the car was built around the rack, it is impossible to remove the rack without taking the car apart. So far I have removed the nose the radiator, the bonnet, looks as though the wings and the side panels will have to come off too. Bummer. Anyone else done this job?

Comment

Cant you thread it through sideways?? Never had mine out so dont know.

Worth buying a set of new mouting bushes, they are the same as a Dolomite so you can go poly or rubber from Rimmers.

If it had not occured to you, the author of the article you posted in Fastmarina was Chris, CJW-consulting, MarinaCoupe. A good man to know for all things Marina, and several Marlin.

Comment

hi just looked at my microfisch on mk1 and mk2 marinas and it shows one bearing in the rack leyland part number 21H 5117 it dose not tell you what its made of. the mk1 1971 to 1975 and the mk2 1975 - on are the same rack.any other part numbers that your looking for just ask and ill see if i can help. bob

Comment

Don
                You're right in that the nose cone and rad have to be removed, not so the wings as the rack should now thread out. I only did it once in 12 years of ownership when as previously stated I had the same problem with the bush

Comment

Thanks Alan, I shall try again today.

Comment

The supplier of these bushes on FastMarina has some more in stock. He will be happy to supply Marlin owners.
                    Its a shame it takes so much work to get a Marlin rack out making it worth fitting a NOS one.

Comment

Ok so new rack in, and tracking done with a ruler, board marker, tape measure and a laser pointer. I may do a write-up sometime, on how to do that.

Trouble is that the new rack is not as nice as the old one, the old one was so nicely run it (IE nearly worn out) that there was hardly any friction and the steering self centred. New one is all stiff and does not self centre. I guess that in time it will loosen up.

I will turn up a bush out of engineering plastic, either teflon or something similar. I still do not think that polyurethane is right for this application.

Comment

At least you are mobile again. I for one would like to see a write on tracking a Marlin.

I would have thought Delrin was fine. Not wanting to teach an O D new tricks, just remember that it can be compressed quite easily, as I was reminded the other day, whilst being gripped in a vice or chuck. I thought it was round but it was more like a 50p.

Comment

Working...
                        X