Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trigger\'s Broom...

So far I have replaced:

Engine, overheated and cracked the block.
    Radiator, see above.
    Water pump.
    Head, massive valve seat failure, despite additives.
    Gearbox, I broke that. (repaired sitting in shed)
    Back Axle, Just broke.
    Windscreen, ditto.
    All the wiring, corroded at all connections.
    Dashboard, kind of went with the above.
    Front right suspension upright, Ok I was hit by a sheep (eweicide).
    Both Trunnions,
    Front brake callipers and disks,
    Rear brake cylinders, twice!
    All hydraulic hoses.
    Steering rack.
    Heater. (yet to be fitted.)

Marinas were a bit crap weren't they?

I am beginning to wonder, What with the dwindling supply of spares, just how long I can keep the bugger on the road, not to mention the expense.

There's a nice MX5 in the dealers up the road...

Re: Trigger\\

That's about par.
    The trouble is everything is 40 years old, was made under testing Union times, perhaps suffered at some time from lack of maintenance and we expect it to be perfect.
    My list is pretty much the same but with more modern calipers front and rear and a Type 9 gearbox.

For there era Marinas were not so very different from other cars, but parts are not as rare as you might think.
    I have always wondered why Triumphs that use so many common parts with a Marina, were produced in the same time yet have a more dedicated following.
    Is it because Marinas were the Rep Mobile of their day and not a drivers car like the TR7?

Answers are irrelevant, we have what we have and we must make do and mend as we go.

Comment

Never heard the TR7 described as a drivers car before Steve..!
      Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

What was the very next BL car to be designed after the Marina?

The TR7, which shared rear axle and gearbox with the Marina, driven by a 2 litre engine, guess how long the gearboxes and axles lasted?

That's why they uprated the rear axle and changed to a River 5 speed gearbox. I have heard it said that the front suspension on the TR7 was designed for the Marina first but was deemed to expensive by the beancounters.

Just passed a very nice BMW Z3 for £5K down the road. I wonder if they have an owners club too...

Comment

Tried going down the MX5 route for a year, changed the oil /put fuel in - boring and very clinical.Useless when the snows came, would have been better with a sled and dog team. Long live Marlins

Comment

OK bad example but there are undeniably better sources of parts for Triumphs and MG's.
            Rimmers for example don't bother to highlight parts that cross between Triumphs and Marinas.
            The later BL cars, Marinas and Allegro's are poorly represented.
            But if the back axles were really that bad, why did Caterham specify Ital axles and not Dolomite Sprint? Was it all cost based?
            OK Quaife did a LSD but that was an option and they do break halfshafts on the track, bouncing off kerbs, and you can't put loads of power through them, but I think the current spat of failures is more due to 35 years lack of maintenance.

Just off out in my MR2, but if it clouds over I might use my Supra TT. Just call me Toyota man.

Comment

I think that I should add that the higher ratio rear axles are a lot stronger, because the pinion is larger and has more teeth.

Comment

Working...
              X