My second question for Committee meeting 3/9/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My second question for Committee meeting 3/9/11

Can the question of postal votes for the next AGM be considered so as not to penalise those members that can’t afford to travel to the AGM but would still like to be part of our club.

Re: My second question for Committee meeting 3/9/11

Good one Martin. Agenda items would need to be finalised rather early to allow the postal voting system even with a modern e-vote system on the website.
    Maybe we should use the local area meets to send a rep to the meetings with votes, questions and agenda items. This could work if somone at the local area meetings could be pinged for the task! I have to be honest, I have no idea where the meetings are held but despite this, local reps would be an advance in my opinion.
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi the problem with Postal Votes cannot be considered in accordance with the Club Constitution.

Candidates may declare up until the time of the meeting so postal votes [ or group proxy votes are not practical)

Regards
      Lee

Comment

I tend to take a rather traditional and hard line on this. This is a motoring club, get yerself to the meeting and vote. If you're not at the meeting how will you get to hear the debate?

Comment

Postal votes put in the dustbin by our committee without even considering my request.
          The reason given was the constitution so a total non starter.
          Constitutions can be changed if you have a forward looking committee.
          My first car was a Morris 1000 you could get 4 gallons of petrol for a pound and still leave a tip for the petrol assistant.
          Things have moved on. To attend the AGM to vote can cost over a £100 pounds ii fuel. Not everybody is able to do the journey there and back in a day so accommodation needed, a cheap B&B food etc and over £200 pounds is reached.
          With the financial climate as it is not everybody has employment or large savings. Some members are struggling to keep the Marlin and hobby alive. With this in mind I felt that postal votes would enable everyone to be part of the Marlin Club not just the well off.
          I seem to be wrong yet again and my aspirations for our club seem to be in opposition to the current committee.
          This posting is probably too late to be discussed at today’s committee meeting.

Comment

Martin, You now have a seconder for postal voting. Along with a challenge to alter the lead time for candidacy declaration.

Don, I don't get to the Nationwide AGM, but I still get to vote. The candidates lay out their stall before the AGM.

Comment

No Roy, because candidates can declare on the day. Unless of course we want to do the whole thing electronically on a web based system...

Comment

Yes Roy, it can be done if our committee wish to pursue the changes necessary.
                Thanks for your support.
                Martin

Comment

I am late picking this subject up, for a change I didnt start it.

"the problem with Postal Votes cannot be considered in accordance with the Club Constitution."

To quote the constitution, 5.3 Each fully paid up Member of the Club shall be entitled to one vote on each proposition.
                  There is no mention of any reason why any fully paid up member should forfeit that entitlement by not attending the AGM in person.
                  Amongst the duties of the Committee is to represent the members and achieve the objectives of the constitution.

Is it not therefore incumbent upon the committee to provide suitable facilities to enable every fully paid up member to exercise their rights, whether or not they attend the AGM?

"Candidates may declare up until the time of the meeting so postal votes [ or group proxy votes are not practical)"

I consider that the majority of the membeship would prefer candidates who have set out their stall, clearly declared their vision for the MOC and have indicated how these targets would be achieved.
                  It is possibile that candidates who declare 'on the day' are acting on impulse, rather than commitment, this does not preclude them from consideration by the electorate present but they would place themselves at an instant disadvantage.

The bulk of the infrastructure already exists. Pitstop provides a means by which candidates can declare. Voting slips can be enclosed in the issue prior to the AGM along with the Agenda. All that is needed at most is a couple of days work, if all 600 members vote, and to count the votes prior to the AGM and to provide an audit trail of the results.

Martins suggestion is from a member, for the members, for the advantage of the MOC and the implementation of a democratic process. No changes are needed to the constitution. Are there any rational arguments against the proposition?

Comment

Working...
                  X