How to remove a stubborn rounded nut.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove a stubborn rounded nut.

I was trying to undo a nut the other day and true to form it was corroded and inevitably it rounded. We have all been there.

I was just about to get my angle grider out and show the nut who was boss when a neighbour who has a TR4 was walking past and he said why dont you try one of these.
    I have seen them before but never used one but, boy did it do the job, I tapped it on to the nut, got my 3/8" bar out and off the nut came.

It is tempting not to bother to soak the fixings with WD or PlusGas but if you don't you will more than likely shear the thread rather than undoing the nut. There is no substitute for good preparation when trying to undo a bolt or nut.

After only a couple of nuts I would highly reccomend these, a bit expensive but if you cant get at the nut with an angle grinder you could spend hours trying to remove the nut.

http://www.irwin.com/tools/screw-bolt-extractors/bolt-extractors
    Attached Files

Re: How to remove a stubborn rounded nut.

Good tip here Steve, thanks for sharing it
    DC

Comment

irwin also make some big ones that can remove locking wheel nuts. Obtainable from Screwfix

Comment

Top Tip for Pit Stop?

Comment

i used to have oxy-acetylene in my workshop,that told any fixing who was boss.did set fire to stuff rather well though,but its good if your're a bit of an animal...

Comment

Nice one Steve.
            Another tool for loosening rounded off bolts and nuts is Grip-Tite sockets which have six cams inside and grip the centre of the flat instead of the corners but will work if the corners are missing.They also grip bolts when you need to insert them into difficult positions.Not magnetic.
            On Ebay Item number: 110729793294

Comment

My experience is that if you use good single hex sockets to start with then bolts don't get rounded. I had some bolts on the brakes of a MK2 Golf that just would not come out, spent all day trying to remove one without shearing the head off but it broke in the end, I just went for it sheared the heads of the other three and drilled out the remains in 20 mins flat.

Not had any problems with the Marlin though, the guy who put it together greased al the threads.

Comment

Working...
              X