Fitting a bigger engine into my 1275cc Marlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting a bigger engine into my 1275cc Marlin

I want more power in my SWB Marlin currently fitted with a 1275 A series engine.
    I understand that the handling may be affected if I put too heavy an engine in.
    It's fine on a & b roads but lacks Motorway pulling power! I hope to drive from West Coast Scotland to Lemans Clasic next year and feel I may be struggling. Unless there is a cheap way of doubling power in A series!?
    So what is best engine to put in Rover V8, K series, Fiat twin cam or vauxhall red top? BMW?
    Look forward to many varied replies.
    Regards
    Clive

Re: Fitting a bigger engine into my 1275cc Marlin

well,thats an open-ended subject! i changed from a-series to tuned 2.1 litre pinto,handling slightly changed but not too much,its no heavier than a b-series engine,but the performance is amazing- 0-60 in 5.5 seconds.rover v8-rather big,k-series prone to failure,twin cam fiat is also heavy,vauxhall redtop potential for easy 200 bhp but much more expensive than a pinto,duratec is a nice engine but also pricey,also most changes require new gearbox-i run a ford type 9 box,so also get 5th gear and relaxed cruising.
    my choice would be pinto on the grounds that they are cheap,plentiful,and 5 speed boxes are also cheap and plentiful,and a simple change of cam to a kent fr32 should see 120 bhp.
    be aware though if you use all the lovely new power you may get through a few diffs!
    i'm sure there are other options,and i can only speak from my experience-what do the rest of you think?

Comment

stick a small block init that'll increase the power.............................ooooo eeerrr ive come over all clarkson ;-)

Comment

Hi Clive look at the mx5 option, the reason i say is excellent twincam and light, also you can pick a complete running mx5 for not much money off fleebay and you will have all parts in one

Comment

It’s an open question with many answers.
          The weight of the engine is a bit of a red herring as most modern engines of around 1800 capacity will be the same weight as an A.
          So far as handling goes, my BL manuals show only two torsion bars, a Normal or Heavy Duty. There is no distinction between 1300/1800. So whilst a different engine change might change handling there is little you can do, with standard Marina parts, to improve things.
          The choice of engine is limitless. It will inevitably mean more power, the logical maximum for a Marina rear axle is around 120BHP. The final drive ratio, from gearbox, axle and tyres should be considered with relation to the engine revs and top speed. It’s worth considering a change of diff centre if you are still using the 4.11 ratio using a 3.27 will lower revs at fast cruising but you will lose on acceleration.
          If you chose a carburettor engine, there are less electronics involved, modern EFI engines use ECU’s with many engine sensors to control emissions. As I understand this could be important when it comes to MOT testing for emissions as it is now based on the origins of the engine, not the build year. It all depends on what you tell the DVLA and insurance company.
          Zetec conversions are pretty common and there is a good backup of parts supply so they are pretty future proof.
          There are many other things to consider from radiators, clutches and the use of electronics as in general modern engines do not use mechanical distributors for engine timing.
          What we have not said is cost. How big is your budget?

Comment

Personally I'd leave the original A series in place, if it is the original engine, but then I biased
            - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
            - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
            - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
            - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
            - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

I would second Davids comment, I have just got a Roadster with a A in it and its such fun, the Lotus twincam in the black car is superfast and will rev right into 8000rpm all day long but the A takes me back to my youth when thats all I had, ow and with drum brakes on the front too.

Comment

A good A series sounds great...plenty of tuning options as well (Metro Turbo for 90+ bhp; BMW 16v head etc etc). Major downside is the standard 4-speed box for cruising at motorway speeds. Why not think about a 5-speed conversion..?
                Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Hi

Search on the forum for engine changes. Also look at the wheelspin classic trials website for info on engines.

I tend to go with the stick with the A Series option due to fun and tuneability, and availability of parts (e.g. from Minispares Centre etc)

Others will be able to advise on the differences between Roadster chassis; whether it is the M series that has been modified to take Ford Crossflows, Rover V8s, Ford Pintos and Fiat Twincams, as well as B Series 1.8 and O Series and what is needed to do this.

If you could find the bits, I'd be tempted by a Fiat twin cam conversion - very much in keeping with the Alfa inspired style. You'd get a 5 speed box this way too. Check out Marina forum and assorted Morris Minor forums - favoured tewak a while back for Moggies. And look at Guy Croft Tuning website.

A cheaper option would be putting a B Series engine in. Am I correct that MGB gearboxes with overdrive would fit? If so, buy the engine and gearbox from a dead MGB. Chic Doig in Fife may have suitable bits, if you don't want to buy compete rusty late model MGB for £500+. You'd want to tune the B Series to make it as much revvy fun as an A Series though... Plenty of B Series parts and tuners out there for the MGB upgrade, racing and rallying market.

Another option would be a Ford Crossflow with a Sierra Mk9 gearbox - can buy adapter plates from Burton Power and other places. Unfortunately you'd be competing with many kit car and racer folk for such Ford engines and gearboxes.

Then there is the rear axle and front brakes to sort if you are considering an engine upgrade. Check this forum. Can be tricky and expnesive to locate parts. Others will be able to advise on this, including wheel sizes and wheel stud arrangement (differences between some models of Marina).

Another option may be be to fit a Ford Mk9 gearbox to an A Series engine. Midget owners do this - parts from Frontline Developments. Once yu have a Mk9 gearbox in you can put other Ford engines in too, as well as things like a K Series.

Cheers
                  Mike

Comment

Thats twice so I will do the sales patter. MGB box on an A is really a non starter for loads of reasons. Type 9 to an A or B Marina engine?, have a look at 5speedmarina.com, brake and axle upgrades, email me stevejgreen(at)btopenworld.com or try and access fastmarinamagazine.co.uk where I have published most of the info because I could edit as I went along.

Comment

Steve to this day I haven't been able to access fastmarinamagazine even with your help. They don't reply with access information and its frustrating. Can you not copy and paste the information to here? it would be much easier, rather than telling us that this information is on this site. Adrian

Comment

The fastmarinamagazine forum is privately funded and is independant of the Morris Marina Owners Club. I have a little influence. Try again and if you get no reply (check your spam box) email me with the username and password and I will see what I can do. I make no promises and am not responsible for the acts and omissions of their admin.

I have published articles in Pitstop so Marlin owners already have access to much of the information

I have an outline plan, when and if the new website/forum is active, to post edited copies of the relevant articles on a Marlin forum. The originals contain some Marina specific info and many links and pictures that will not tranfer into this sites format. I have no intention of shrinking down images when I can only post three in any one thread, where it is difficult to present information sensibly.
                        It is one of the reasons I have been so active in establishing a 'proper' Marlin forum.

Give me the correct facilities and I will see what I can do. Meanwhile you will have to tolerate and accept the efforts I have already made for the benefit of both Marina and Marlin owners.

Comment

Oops. email me with username and email. I dont want passwords.

With editing you would never know I make mistakes!

Comment

Adrain,
                            try http://www.fastmarinamagazine.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2033

regards
                            Peter

Comment

Hi Peter, im obviously a bit thick but what is it you have asked me to try, all I got was a thread on being locked out? Adrian

Comment

Working...
                              X