Flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flywheel

Hi can anyone tell me if a b series flywheel on a car with overdrive is a STD flywheel off a Marina ? And will a MGB Flywheel fit?
    Don't suppose anyone has got one they want to part with ? Thanks Lee

Re: Flywheel

The Marina was never supplied as standard with overdrive. There are three different flywheels fitted to the Marina, the 1300, 1800 and Automatic. The same bell housing is interchangable between all these Marinas though there are minor design changes with no specified cutoff dates.
    The MGB flywheel is different again but will fit on an Marina engine.
    The prime differences between them all is the clutch plate diameter so the clutch pressure plate has different fixings.

Comment

The diameters are different too. 1.8 Marina is smaller dia than the MGB so you run into problems with the starter motor location/engagement if trying to use the MG item on a Marina.

Clutches are interchangeable between Marina 1.8 & MGB.

I have a redundant 1.8 Marina item kicking around with decent ring gear...though postage would be expensive.

Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Correction - clutch plates are interchangeable. Clutch covers & release bearings are different, though the both covers bolt to both flywheels.
        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Good point Jez, missed that.
          Marina and MGB backplates are different, so you can't bolt a Marina bell onto an MGB backplate or vice versa.

If its an overdrive box, its probably a Dolomite/Marina hybrid. (Marina gearset with a Dolomite output shaft) with an overdrive bolted on the back.

The trouble is that with a Marlin, many things are possible and without knowing what parts are original Marina, its difficult to give accurate answers.

Comment

The fact that it has overdrive wont affect the type of flywheel.
            Why dont you replace the starter ring.

Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks all for your advice I will get some part numbers and post them later on here. Jez may be interested in the flywheel.
              Thanks
              Lee

Comment

If you only need a ring gear, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260855950399

Would get missed by some due to poor description.

Comment

Hi jez the only numbers on the flywheel are 114 and it is a STD flywheel if that helps thanks lee

Comment

Can't check as I'm working away at present...but definitely from a 1.8 Marina.

If you want it ping me on jezcox "at" tesco.net and we can take it from there.

Comment

Working...
                    X