Expensive (or not) Rattles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expensive (or not) Rattles.

On a recent run my engine started to make a top end rattle very like a worn tappet. When I was building my engine (2.1 litre Pinto) Brian Gadd warned me about the delicate Kent camshaft that I had fitted. I wondered if my camshaft had worn itself out. I checked the clearances and they were all within .01mm and the lobes were smooth and unmarked. I put it back together and ran it. The rattle was still there. Drat!
    I then thought that maybe one of the lightweight 2.8 (Cologne) V6 pistons, that are fitted in my 2.1 pinto, had a broken ring or run a little end - the noise was similar! I started on the task of removing the cylinder head. I got as far as the exhaust manifold and EUREKA. Two of the four exhaust gaskets had tiny burnt out areas with the other two well on their way. The pulsing, escaping exhaust was squeezing past whatever reained of the metallic gasket and making a very short tuneful note in a similar way to that of an harmonica (face piano).
    I'll get four new gaskets on Monday and be on the road again. Yippee £5 versus £200 for a cam.
    Ah! the pleasures of a 22 year old Berli.....
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Re: Expensive (or not) Rattles.

Dont you just love it when a supprize causes so much happyness !.
    Had simular exsperance, thought it was clutch pressure thrust washer going as on changine gear down (as engine revs fell) metal tinnie rattle occured.
    Thought would live a while with it, untill recent mot noted exhaust leek on manifold gasket.
    Replaced all 4 with large bore thicker ones and rattle gone and exhust leek free !.
    Great working on semi old engins.
    Fred.

Comment

Re: Expensive (or not) Rattles.

Hi Fred. You have suffered from that tinny rattle too. It is a sod to locate accurately isn't it! Strangely enough, my worn gaskets were the Burton Power large bore type. Seems like we may be driving our Berli's a little on the hard side!
      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Working...
      X