Weber Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber Carbs

I am seeking advice on the appropriate carb fo an 1800 Pinto. The car is currently fitted with a Weber 38 38DGMS (not sure about the last 2 letters). This is a twin choke device (effectively 2 carbs in one) rather than the usual 32/36 type used on many Pintos where the second choke only comes into to play when you boot it!

Currently the idle is uneven (ocassional stalls), I've tried adjusting the 2 idle mixture screws but with no real improvement. Accelleration seems a bit sluggish.

I have a couple of questions -

Is the carb too big for the engine? I've seen kits for a 2-litre pinto using this carb (I think it was originally intended for the 3 litre V6!). If so what would you suggest? - most suppliers only mention 1600 and 2000 pintos!

Does anyone have any advice on how to tune it?

I'm currently thinking of purchasing a service kit and cleaning it out as I'm sure there will be some dirt in it.

Regards

Nick

Re: Weber Carbs

I think this wasa the carb that Sue had some tuning problems with. I sent her my old, but serviceable, 32/36 type and it seems to have cured the snags. I'm sure that a rejetted 32/36 would fire up the 1800 pinto OK.
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Nick
      My old Cabrio came with a 32/34 type that seemed spot on.Webers do not like high fuel pressures so if you have an electric pump that can be an issue[you only need about 2.5 psi]. I personally think you are overcarbed with the 38

Comment

The VVcarb was used a lot and you do not want that one. The 32 34 or the 32 36 should work well. As Alan says if you have an electric pump then it is best to fit a regulator. The 38 was used more on an overbored pinto with big valves and a wild cam and all the tuning mods before moving on to twin webbers or instead of.

Comment

The DGAS was fitted to the Ford V6 3 litre. I fitted one of these to my 2.1 Pinto in the early 90s. (I have all the setting written down somewhere) but the main thing to get the carb running correctly is to change the air bush in the carb top, this is not usualy altered in the normal scheme of things, it can be simply altered by removing the bush, soldering it up then redrilling not sure size (either 1 or 1.5mm) without cheching back. I suggest a call to Webcon who are magic at passing on the necessary info.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I think the 38DGAS is on the large side, I suspect the air velocity through the 2 38 mm chokes is on the slow side at tickover. Most tuning books advise against fitting over sized carbs. I will try a 32/36 (or 32/4) depending what I can find. Can any one advise of the differences in jet size etc between a 1.6 and 2-litre? I've not seen any adverised for a 1.8

Thanks

Nick

Comment

i run a 32/36 on my 2.1 pinto,with ported head,big valves and fr32 kent cam.it happily puts out 150 bhp and idles well,so it should be perfect for you.over-sized carbs only costs mpg and can lose you power,plus makes mot time tricky!

Comment

I have a Webber 32/36 DGAV auto chocke fitted to my 2 ltre Pinto with ported head, big valves and Kent RL 21 cam,with 4/1 large exhaust.It did have twin 45, but a total nightmare and exspence so switched to 32/36.
                Now tickes over hungerly but does 30/34 mpg however its pushed. Single is better on MOT test day too.

Comment

Spare Weber 32/36 available

I have a spare carb available if you are interested. I was running well on my 1600. The only reason I replaced it was that I bought an engine that had a brand new weber if the same size fitted. My old one had a service kit applied to it and worked well. You can contact me on the forum - I will watch this thread.

Comment

Ignore previous post - I see you have new carb

Ignore previous post - I see you have new carb

Comment

Working...
                    X