Big brother has arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big brother has arrived

Heaven help us all! I have just read a report on the new Ford Kuga and it features:"automatic braking if you are cornering too fast".
    Some things turn me ever faster into Victor Meldrew.
    Have a nice day.
    Pete C

PS: Your only jealous because the little voices are only talking to me.

Re: Big brother has arrived

As the comedian Jethro once said " I bought this fully automatic car the other day. It does everything for you but I still have to be there"

Comment

Yes but for how long?
      Keith.

Comment

So if you are cornering too fast on a wet road it puts the brakes on. That should really improve the situation - I THINK NOT! Peter.

Comment

I don't think that is what it does at all. To quote Ford:

Electronic Stability Programme (ESP)
          ESP detects sudden changes in steering and braking, helping to prevent loss of control of the vehicle. It reacts automatically if needed, modifying power and braking individual wheels.

EPS has been used of numerous vehicles for ten years or more, starting with that little Merc, and Subarus and Mitsubishi rally derived cars.

What it does not do is slam all the brakes on if it thinks you are going to fast. What it does do is control the torque going to individual wheels using the brakes and the throttle in a way that you cannot do manually (or pedally?).

If you want to get all Victor Meldrew about thought of a computer deciding what your car does, then that is your prerogative and right.

Comment

Working...
          X