IVA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IVA

I cant really give you any advice Cameron, Chris has just about covered it. I thought that you may have been considering shelving the YKC and getting yourself something up and running and reg. Have a good look through the current IVA manual.
    Danny.

Comment

cheers guys, i am doing as you suggest - it has meant a couple of changes since i started building as things have been modified over the last couple of years with IVA but im fairly confident I am getting most of it right - though it seems some inspectors are more relaxed than others in the way they interpret things. The key thing is that Im approaching it with the view that Brussels doesnt want anyone apart from mainstream munufacturers to build cars - esp mad brits working in their sheds late at night
      Of course, Im perverse enough to keep going back over old work too - i do one bit, it was better than the last bit so i go back - i guess the car will never be finished to my satisfaction so I just need to to say "that'll do" and get it tested. I will certainly MOT it Chris thats a good idea.
      Im currently working on the propshaft. I made engine mounts myself and only now when i connected the shaft do I find that I have a slight twist, the front of the engine is perfectly central but the back is off tot eh NS causing a vibe in the shaft. So its out with the string again and do the job properly. Its not that I was being an idiot, its just that you dont always know this stuff before you start and learning about it is half the fun of building the thing isnt it?
      I shall try and put up some more pics later today.
      Thanks for the support guys

Comment

Cameron, I am new here but I picked up on the propshaft issue. If the engine is a tad out of line that shouldn't bother the propshaft. They work better when they are out of line. If they are almost straight then they can vibrate because of the newness in the bearings causing a slight stiffness to angle the UJ cross bearings. Better out of line than straight, a UJ needs to work at more than 1º.

Comment

Re: IVA - slightly confused!

You will never get a propshaft that is 100% in line all the time as the engine/gearbox will move on their mounting rubbers, so there will alway be an angle change, however one reason its good to have a slightly out of line propshaft is it distributes the wear on the UJs over a larger area so they last longer.
          Last edited by chris_cussen; 17-07-12, 07:32 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
          X