Larger Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larger Battery

I would like to fit a larger battery to my Marlin.
    Any suggestions would be useful as there dose not seem to be a lot of room.
    Has original Cortina type car battery with square posts.

Hi Martin

A lot of the other kit car producers are now extolling the virtues of High boost bike batteries.

I am looking at this option for myself.

Adrian

Comment

Hi Martin on the Berlinetta's I have owned is move the battery into the boot, as the location of the battery in a Berli is to tight for a decent battery, and they get rather hot in there also. It is not a big job to move it but you need around 3.5m cable.
      Regards
      Lee

Comment

Thanks to Adrian and Lee for the information.
        I will look at a higher capacity battery of the same size.
        I had considered extending battery cable to enable battery to be fitted elsewhere but was concerned about voltage drop to starter.
        I find that before engaging the starter motor that battery voltage in the morning is 12.25v.
        On a cold day we some times struggle to turn the engine.
        My marlin is fitted with a 1.6 which I have been told are higher compression ratio than larger ones which is why you need a higher capacity battery.
        I don't know if this is true?

Comment

Hi Again

Looking at what Westfield etc. use, try this link.

They apparently recover quickly and produce their full output throughout the starting cycle.

Online shop and mail order for classic car, vintage, kit car race car and motorsport parts and accessories quality service trading for 40 years.

Adrian

Comment

Hi Martin you should not get any volts drop just make sure the ends a crimped well, then go out and but around a 550 cold cranking capacity battery and your troubles will be over.
            Regards
            Lee

Comment

Hi, I kept the original battery mounting and position but bought a good quality battery, as described above, of around 550A cranking capacity. To preserve the life of this battery I discarded the old Lucas alternator and replaced this with a Sierra 75A alternator. So far so good. There are quite a few of these Bosch or Motorola alternators in breakers yards so you should find a serviceable item.

(2.2 litre Vulcan Pinto, High compression head)
              Last edited by Dane_Rescueman; 30-11-11, 08:15 PM. Reason: extra information
              Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

I have a new 45Amp plus alternator fitted.
                Battery fitted is a Numax type 85 12v 43Ah 360A cranking capacity.
                L = 210mm, W = 175mm, H = 175mm.
                I have been looking for a battery with higher cranking capacity that would fit.

Comment

Working...
                X