Sat in storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sat in storage

Purchased a Marina/Fiat DOHC roadster some weeks ago. It had passed an MOT and was nominally driveable but had been dry stored for five years at least.
    Engine and chassis seem sound and it had apparently been turned over, oil changed and car rolled back and forth every year or so.

Question is, what is likely to be waiting to surprise me having perished or corroded from lack of use?

Looked at so far:
    -Fuel pump. The mechanical pump packed in first run out, fitted the Webcon low pressure electric pump. Very quiet.
    -Carb. The float valve did not seal against the flow from new pump. Float chamber drained and cleaned, float tweaked, seems happy now.
    -New plugs.
    -New coolant.
    -New oil, what with having petrol in it from the carb issues.
    -Cambelt to be replaced this week.
    -Wheels sandblasted and repainted. Rim corrosion was causing air loss from all wheels.
    -Tyres. Rear nearside tyre popped off the rim today. First run out with the cleaned wheels. Fitter warned me they were very tight. Old and/or oversized? Might be best to get new ones.
    -Various instrument lights and switchgear nonfunctional, stiff or jammed. Repaired with cannibalised instrument panel and WD40.
    -Ignition key 'start' position was very tight under the dash. Fitted a nice shiny engine start button. Very satisfying.
    -Manual choke sorted out (had two separate choke cables, one not working properly).
    -Windscreen seals are shot. Rain has various routes into the passenger footwell. Sealant needed. Avoiding rain for the moment as the hood needs fixings to keep it in touch with the rollbar.
    -Wiring generally looks OK.
    -Suspension bushes will need replacing in the moderately near future.
    -Brakes working with no obvious leaks. Lines seem in an OK state. Piston seals?

What have I missed?

Any advice appreciated as always,

Tom.

Re: Sat in storage

Hi Tom.Might be worth putting fresh brake fluid in, the old stuff has probably absorbed some moisture over the lay-up. You've obviously been very busy. Regards David

Comment

Thank you. Will do.

Markings on four of the tyres are a little vague but look to be pre-1990. The fifth is almost certainly a 1980s vintage tyre. Not surprising they are not behaving. Should have checked that before bumbling off round the block.

Thoughts on replacement tyres very welcome. The Vredestein Quatrac 3 seems well thought of?

Thanks, Tom.

Comment

Mine was laid up for 4 years before i bought. Stat didnt open on the way home and i had to have the engine rebuilt. Then it was just a thing of checking things were still tight. Lose suspension stuff lol. Nothing scary. It flew through the mot mind since its first hammering off road ive noticed the damper bushes wernt as tight as before but not a problem yet. The diff needed topping up had to adjust rear brake shoes. Done the plugs and cap checked leeds replaced heater hoses Carry spare radiator hoses as they look ok on ther. I see it as pervious owners now ther gonna lay them up so dont maintain them. Backbox had a hole. Mice nest plus dead mouse. under seat dodgy rear electrics. Just check everything really but dont change stuff that dosent need changing. Propshaft uj. This probaly isnt much help. For you but i like to help were i can.

Steven

Comment

Thoughts appreciated. Spare hoses are a good plan.
          No mice so far.
          Cheers,
          Tom

Comment

Working...
          X