How many V8's ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many V8's ?

Approximately how many Marlin Cabrios/Hunters have the Rover V8 engine?
    Last edited by HunterV8Spain; 05-02-12, 09:10 AM.

Re: How many V8's ?

Hi all. I wasn't surprised that my post about timing curves recieved such little interest here on the forum.
    But surely this post will receive some answers??
    Where else could this information be found?

Comment

I used to own a cabrio v8 if that counts the car is still going well

Comment

Hi . I've got a Sportster with the Rover engine but because your initial enquiry was specifically about advance curves(spring rates), I did'nt reply as I've fitted the megajolt system. I got fed up trying various distributors in an effort to optimise the ignition and took the plunge to go distributorless. Although since fitting, my car has been mostly on sorn the improvements are apparent and I'm confident with running over the summer months I'll be able to fine-tune the ignition curve even further with the old laptop.Regards David

Comment

You do raise an interesting point here, the club has several databases of information about members' cars and the relevant rep will possibly have some information about the number of V8s fitted to Cabrios specifically - but unlikely; however, the records from the factories were not the best and if we as a club dont have the info to hand we may never get it.
          In the future the various marque databases and paper records may get electronicified and we could start publishing some of the facts.
          I think that as the cars are now widely recognised as classics (even ebay tries to put marlins into the classic category) we need to be proactive at publishing the data. There has been a fabulous job of work done collecting some of this data we should try to share it. I know there are some issues with data protection and members certainly wont want details that can personally identify them - that's only right - but we can certainly boast about how many of our cars are on the road, sorned, broken for parts etc. along with details about engines fitted and stuff.
          This is a big job though and should it be seen as a good idea it wont happen overnight. I think it might be something we as members could put to the commitee to consider as an action point for the year ahead? What do others think?

Comment

Hi all,
            I also belong to a Mercedes club as I like the W201 (190E 1983 - 1993) they have made up an on going list of each model owned by the forum members, please see this link (in Spanish I'm afraid but easy to get the idea) http://www.mbfaq.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4685
            Perhaps we could do somthing similar to build up a picture of how many of each Marlin type exist and what engine combinations
            Example
            Sportster Rover V8 copperleaves11
            Hunter Rover V8 3.9 HunterV8Spain
            (There you are - the list is started!!)

All it will need is somone to update the list periodically

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
              You do raise an interesting point here, the club has several databases of information about members' cars and the relevant rep will possibly have some information about the number of V8s fitted to Cabrios specifically - but unlikely; however, the records from the factories were not the best and if we as a club dont have the info to hand we may never get it.
              In the future the various marque databases and paper records may get electronicified and we could start publishing some of the facts.
              I think that as the cars are now widely recognised as classics (even ebay tries to put marlins into the classic category) we need to be proactive at publishing the data. There has been a fabulous job of work done collecting some of this data we should try to share it. I know there are some issues with data protection and members certainly wont want details that can personally identify them - that's only right - but we can certainly boast about how many of our cars are on the road, sorned, broken for parts etc. along with details about engines fitted and stuff.
              This is a big job though and should it be seen as a good idea it wont happen overnight. I think it might be something we as members could put to the commitee to consider as an action point for the year ahead? What do others think?

I think that a combined database for Marlins of all marques would be of benefit to club members as a whole, provided we can get around the Data Protection Act.

Unfortunately Camerons post, whilst being proactive is littered with 'possibly' - 'unlikely' - 'may' - 'could' - 'try' and 'wont''.

Will this become just another 'hot potato' that the committee will be dealing with and will it be brushed under the carpet as being too difficult and costly to introduce?

One idea is to follow this example where users have the opportunity to add and edit their own data.
              Video Production and Website Design services by MediavooDoo offer video production to clients in Scotland from our facilities in Falkirk.

This really belongs on a thread on its own. Sorry for the hijack
              Last edited by stevejgreen; 09-02-12, 08:06 PM.

Comment

"This really belongs on a thread on its own. Sorry for the hijack"

Don't worry about the hyjack - that Bondbug register is brilliant!! And you are right - this needs a new thread that ALL model Marlin owners can air their views on?

Comment

Perhaps Cameron or another admin can do the necessary surgery.

Comment

Hi
                    I have at least 33 V8 Cabrio's on my list
                    These are vehicles i have details for - unfortunately Marlin Cars are not forthcoming in details of Cabrio's produced Or I suspect any other car.
                    Or course there may be members that change to engine on their cars.
                    Also it won't do any good asking Cameron or anyone else for a comprehensive list.
                    Memebers don't always give full details of their cars.

Comment

Thanks djj_engineer, I suppose most Marlin owners would join the club so it would look like less than say 100 cars?

Comment

My Hunter (I am third user) has the Rover 3.9i engine with the serpentine drive belt. It has electronic ignition not carbs and if you trawl back through the Pitstops (search under "rich running") you will find that I have had quite a saga getting it set up. I will post some details on your other thread whan I get a moment. Peter.

Originally posted by HunterV8Spain View Post
                        Approximately how many Marlin Cabrios/Hunters have the Rover V8 engine?

Comment

Hi greyV8pete,
                          what sort of mileage do you get from the 3.9 with injection? I have the 3.9 but with an Offenhauser intake and 4 barrel Weber - in a mixture of driving from furious to cruising I am getting around 20 mpg.

Comment

From new it had the standard Disco chip in a Lucas 14CUX ECU and no Lambda sensors were fitted originally when it left the factory! I was getting 12-18mpg and finally having failed the MOT for 8.5% CO I set about sorting things. I fitted the RPI engineering Optimax chip plus two O/E Lambda sensors . Since then I get approx 0.6% CO reading and a consistent 26mpg no matter how I drive it :-) Also the exhaust note is deep and great, plus I now don't get black soot out of the exhaust pipes! The engine is now so unbelievably flexible that it will pootle along at 20mph in 5th if required. The static timing has been set at 6deg as recommended for the Optimax chip but I haven't checked it with the strobe or tried advancing it any further as per RPI website method. I bought an RPI Ignition Amp but haven't got around to fitting it yet. Likewise an RPI fuel pressure regulator. Two problems still remain to be sorted. 1) There is sometimes a tendency for the acceleration pick up to be a bit jerky so I first want to have a look at the vac and mech advance to make sure nothing is sticking. 2) When the Kenlowe fan switches on (it pulls about 20A minimum!) the engine momentarily hesitates, probably due to a mammoth voltage drop to the ECU. Peter.

Originally posted by HunterV8Spain View Post
                            Hi greyV8pete,
                            what sort of mileage do you get from the 3.9 with injection? I have the 3.9 but with an Offenhauser intake and 4 barrel Weber - in a mixture of driving from furious to cruising I am getting around 20 mpg.

Comment

Wow! 26mpg - and I assume more bhp/torque as well, no wonder carbureted cars are on the decline/extinct!! A bit of advice, don't worry about what the initial timing is - the engine isn't working at these revs. Far more important is the maximum timing, which you should check using a strobe light with the facility to dial in the 34 degrees you want for your engine. (Or without this option mark the pulley at the 34º point but the dial in type is MUCH easier plus more accurate). Disconnect and plug the vacuum pipe then have a friend momentarily rev the engine to say 3500rpm whilst aiming the strobe at the TDC mark on the timing pulley. You need to see a maximum of 34º, including any oscillation, once it has stopped advancing (you may need to rev higher to achieve this). You will probably find that your initial timing is now anywhere between 3 and 9º, don’t worry – your timing is now bang on where the engine needs it most. The guaranteed result will be even better economy power and torque, try it, you will be surprised, I was!! You should also find that the hesitation has gone. Don’t leave that job of checking the free movement of the mechanical advance – you will very often find that a bit of dirt or lack of lubrication is not letting it work smoothly. Happy Marlin motoring! Who needs a radio when you have a V8 under the bonnet?

Comment

Working...
                              X