New emmissions MOT tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New emmissions MOT tests

Just had my Cabrio MOT'd and they carried out the new test for emmissions.
    This was a 30 sec at idle, 60 secs at 2500 revs then another at 30 sec at idle.
    My engine is to be no more than 3.5 co and the test sheet showed all arround 1.5 co but it failed. As the tester could not find in the computer any details of the car to compare with he gave me the benefit of doubt and passed it.
    Has any one else had a similar problem?

Re: New emmissions MOT tests

What engine are using and age is it ? as I have never had a emmissions test done on any of my kit cars. Both Ford Pinto engines, one was a 1985 and the current one is 1987 and are exempt even as the Cabrio is reg 2008.

Comment

I had a 1976 Weber fed carb in my Berli. I replaced the engine with a rebored 1988 EFi Pinto from a Sierra. The garage always insited on emission testing the car when I had the old engine but says I no longer need to have a test with the new one- I'm on the third no emissions test MoT. It's all very daft and a bit confusing!
      I understood that the rules, which covered my old engine, required a smoke test only. Following the age related rules through, my newer engine, due to its year of manufacture should be tested at idle to <2% CO but the MoT man is adamant about no test.
      He says that it is judged on the age of the car. Mt Berli was registered in 1989 so it all still makes no sense! I test my own engine on an emissions meter and I get the Ford recommended idle setting of 0.5% CO. Ho Hum........
      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

My experience matches Cabriobob - the year of manufacture is shown on the block of my Pinto as 1970, MOT man says smoke test only

Comment

Just had the MOT on my Roadster done today. In light of the above thread I specificaly asked him about engine emission tests and he said that all kit cars, irrespective of age, were exempt and it was a "car only" test.
          Mind you he did test the trailer socket!!
          Glad to say it passed with a clean bill of health.

Comment

Just goes to show doesnt it! MOT Testers are supposed to be update trained regulalry and its obvious from the above comments that teh experience is very variable. As I understand it the vehicle is tested according to whichever is older - the car or the engine (with the onus being on the presenter of teh vehicle to prove the age if necessary). But if anyone wants chapter and vers (there's a pun there!) here's the link to all the relevant manuals.

Comment

Glad you got through, Hugh. Now bring out the sunshine!
              Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

My Cabrio registered as 1997 with a recent new 2ltr Zetec passed today no prob!
                I also enquired re emmissions and was told all kits are visual test only
                Cheers
                Bryan
                Stapley Bryan

Comment

In my experience the age of the engine has never Been considered for the MOT. However it was relevant for the SVA test.
                  Danny/

Comment

I thought it was visual only
                    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Surely the only standard an MOT tester can apply is that printed on the V5.
                      My Roadster has no entries in section V of the Vehicle Details (bottom of second page) so it can be visual only.

Presumably as cars are tested at IVA their emissions must be assessed depending on engine and these values used on the V5 and used for all further MOT tests.

Comment

Q plates are visual test only as the age of the vehicle is, by definition, uncertain. Other than that the rules have changed at various points. The rule of thumb is/used to be if you have an age-related plate then any emissions tests are commensurate with the age denoted by the plate. SVA/IVA was a little different (emissions regs as per the age of the donor engine)...but there are probably many subtleties hidden in the regs.
                        The preceding is all "AFAIK" & "IIRC"...not to mention "caveat emptor"...
                        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

A little source info from the current MOT Inspection Manual 1 Jan 2012
                          MOT Inspection Manual emissions.jpg

Comment

Working...
                          X