Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removal of dashboard to access speedometer

Hi Guys
    I have a tiny annoying detail on my speedometer that I would like to sort out. The silver disc (about the size of a 5 pence piece covering the the needle centre/spindle) has become detached and is lying behind the glass at the bottom of the speedometer. In my previous kit-cars, it would have taken about 15 minutes to detach the speedo, remove the glass and glue the disc back in place.

With the Hunter, the dashboard is so well sealed up that I cannot find a way of removing either the speedo or the whole dashboard. The padded vinyl top comes off with a few screws, but just reveals the metal case beneath. I haven't tried to remove the walnut facia, but that just looks to be a skin over the same metal case. Grovelling around beneath the steering wheel area appears fairly hopeless, because everything is so well sealed up like a conventional car.

Obviously, I don't want to spend hours dismantling the whole dashboard, just to glue the silver disc in place. Do I just leave things as they are, or is there a quick way of getting behind the speedo glass? Advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Mike

Re: Removal of dashboard to access speedometer

Mike,
    Sorry, can't help, it rather depends on how Marlin put your car together. I have a vinyl dash and its held on by screws covered by the padded top and then a couple underneath. I don't think you could get the speedo out without partially removing the dash.
    Chris

Comment

Mike, getting the top off is easy as you have noted. Your Hunter is probably the same as mine, there's a set of c/sunk cross head bolts around the top edge of the wood , and others underneath at each end which release the dash - but it does not move too far. I've had to put an instrument light bulb/socket back into place and also replaced my heater controls, which entailed the above in order to "move" the dash..................but watch it because the speakers at either end are s*ds to get back in place again...and also the warning lights easily come adrift !

Simple comment and advice is to live with it

Rgds DC
      Last edited by dcunn; 06-06-12, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Hi Mike
        I've had to remove my dash several times lately,firstly to sort some wiring issues and then to put right my c###ups,then again to remove all the clocks to refix the wood fascia.
        As you say the top comes of first then several screws holding the fascia which are hidden under the roll top,these are all I have,but to remove it enough to get to anything behind or remove it completely I have to take off the Steering wheel and column shrouds and the switch stalks.
        But I guess al are slightly different!
        Best of luck whichever you decide
        Regards
        Bryan
        Stapley Bryan

Comment

Thanks Guys
          On balance, I think I'll leave well alone. It's ironic that my 2 previous kit cars (Robin Hood & Marlin Berlinetta) had dashboards that I totally rebuilt, and as such I knew what screws to remove etc. For something simple like removing a dial or duff lightbulb, they just required a bit of grovelling under the dash. Whereas the Hunter is so well sealed up, there is no such access! It's that bloke S*D and his Law again!

Cheers
          Mike

Comment

Working...
          X