Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW based prop shaft in a Sportster

Hello All
    Having owned a Roadster for some years which was originally Ital Powered but is now after months of work powered by a Rover V8 3.9I, I have seem to have suffered a further dip in sanity and aquired a sportster to drive me further along the happy happy road. The solution I am seeking help with (I dont have problems ) is how to adapt the Donor BMW 325I propshaft to fit the Marlin. Many of you must have achieved this so if you could advise I would be very grateful
    Regards
    Dic Price

Re: BMW based prop shaft in a Sportster

Hi Dic,

I built a Sportster with the BMW 325I donor. I sent the propshaft to Dunning & Fairbanks Ltd. in Leeds. I spoke to them on the phone first, 0113 248 8788, and they did a super job for me.

The only other tip I would offer is when refitting put a new rubber coupling in.

Regards.

Rob Aubrey

Comment

Originally posted by RobA View Post
      Hi Dic,

I built a Sportster with the BMW 325I donor. I sent the propshaft to Dunning & Fairbanks Ltd. in Leeds. I spoke to them on the phone first, 0113 248 8788, and they did a super job for me.

The only other tip I would offer is when refitting put a new rubber coupling in.

Regards.

Rob Aubrey
      Hi Dic

Although I am building a Cabrio, I have used a BMW 325i M50 engine and gearbox and mated it to a Sierra diff.
      I live in the Midlands, and chose Dave Mac in Coventry - his service was superb - giving advice as well as making a special propshaft up for me.
      He strong advised not using the BMW rubber donut, on the basis that it is designed to run in the donor with less than 1 degree of angle, whereas in a kit car the engine/gearbox/diff are not usually that well aligned, and will shred the donut in a short period of use.

Rob
      Does your suggestion to fit a new donut, imply that you have had to replace yours?

Regards
      Mike

Comment

Hi Mike & Dic,

I fitted the propshaft with the original donut, the car had done over 100,000 miles ?? (whether the donut had been replaced I do not know) it lasted about 1,000 miles. I replaced with new BMW donut and have done approx. 8,000 miles - no problem (touch wood).
        Regards.
        Rob

Comment

Thanks Gents your response is appreciated, I did have a propshaft altered for my roadster at' BAR 'in Neath, who did an excellent job. The information I need to complete the shaft for the sportster is whether to cut the shaft to lenght and reweld to include the doughnut at the gearbox end, and the UJ and the dif end and discard the joint in the middle. If anyone has any photos or drawings of a completed shaft it would be extrmely helpful
          Thanks for your help
          Dic

Comment

Hi Dic,

From memory the BMW propshaft starts with a rubber coupling, straight shaft for approx. 700 millimetres, universal joints and the second section is the part which I had shortened down to fit (approx. 180 millimetres) long and then the other universal joint and flange onto diff. This should give you some idea of my configuration. (I can't at the moment put my hand on the drawing I sent to Leeds)
            Regards.
            Rob

Comment

Originally posted by dic.a.price View Post
              Thanks Gents your response is appreciated, I did have a propshaft altered for my roadster at' BAR 'in Neath, who did an excellent job. The information I need to complete the shaft for the sportster is whether to cut the shaft to lenght and reweld to include the doughnut at the gearbox end, and the UJ and the dif end and discard the joint in the middle. If anyone has any photos or drawings of a completed shaft it would be extrmely helpful
              Thanks for your help
              Dic
              Dic

Dave Mac advised having a new one made up for my Cabrio, but I was marrying a BMW gearbox to a Sierra diff. The other major reason was that at only 1060mm long, why have the added complication of a mid U/J taking up valuable ground clearance.
              Mine cost £150 all new, which I thought was good value.

I have a few photos on my flickr site you may find helpful:
              The bolts were specially turned down by Dave Mac to ensure they did not foul on the UJ yokes (standard ones will not fit!!). The nuts only just clear the gearbox case. Note the quality of the transmission tunnel seam welding above - I still have to remove the engine again to re-paint this, and replace the crushed fuel pipe whilst re-fitting it last time!!!

My completed drive trian is shown below - The two parts of the BMW propshaft were not long enough on their own to make the required length in my Cabrio - 1060mm flange to flange - so I had a new single length one made, but included a splined section to take up any change in length due to diff movement. Dave Mac advised the smaller diameter Ford prop will cope with up to around 350BHP, so plenty in reserve! One advantage of having a smaller diameter prop is that it leaves more room around it for the brake/fuel pipes, handbrake cable, and gear linkage.
              It is important to keep the front flange diameter down, as it will foul on gear linkage.
              Also, whoever you choose to make it will need to know the exact gearbox flange detail, as there is apparently more than one type.

Dave Mac even turned down the bolts specially to allow them to fit!

Archive Photos 847.jpg

Archive Photos 844.jpg
              Last edited by Mike; 09-07-12, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X