mot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mot

went for the MOT not me the marlin and yes a fail on emissions have all mots back to 1997 all first time passes so what has changed? nothing, fast idle hc reading 1595 should be under 200 second fast idle 1582 ,lamba 1.265 and 1.137 max 1.030 ,mot heading catalyst equipped vehicle with closed loop control ,engine is 2 liter pinto 1987,am i going senile?or have i been had by the tester ,info please on ,,exhaust emissions ..

Re: mot

Your MOT man needs to read his mot manual as the exhaust is visual only on a engine of that age. This topic was discussed at great detail on the forum a few months back.

New emmissions MOT tests can be found under "General discussions" (April 2012)

The following types of vehicle will be considered as first used before 1 August 1975
    All kit-cars and amateur built vehicles first used before 1 August 1998.
    (Visual Test):

Just found this under Caterham Cars = the vehicle concerned should be considered as 'amateur built' and as such
    should receive a visual smoke test only. In the emmissions testing manual.
    Last edited by CABRIOBOB; 09-07-12, 08:15 PM.

Comment

worth an appeal? never heard of anyone actually doing hte appeal process but you have the best case ever...maybe a letter to the kitcar press too?

Comment

I know how you feel DBdelboy. My Berlinetta went in for MoT on Tuesday. It has contiguous certificates dating back to 1989. The guy decided that there was a possibility of the left hand front brake flex hose getting close to the tyre on full left lock. There were no witness marks of any contact. The front of the car is standard Cortina. In the intervening years I have replaced calipers and hoses but always with the correct size stock items. He would not budge so failed the test. I've spent hours today fabricating new steel hose brackets to replace the ones on the Cortina calipers. The idea is to give a much greater clearance and angle for the flex hoses so that they don't get anywhere near the tyres. He was then going to say that I would not have any lock tabs for the caliper bolts if I did that. As he had been "so observant" in imagining contact betwixt hose and tyre, I encouraged him to look again at the calipers where he would discover that the bolts are wire locked as in aviation practice and thus do not need lock tabs. He then got me for poor aim of the headlights! I checked them on his own MoT light tester and they were spot on - apparently there was a screw missing from bottom of the chrome, 7", tightly clipped on, headlight surround which worried him. I'm fed up with the whole thing but I will be back there on Friday and if he has anything else he wants to dream up I'll feed him in to his own brake tester at full torque. It is unfortunate that a large minority of MoT testers hate the idea of an "amateur" built vehicle. They should see what this "amateur" builder can do with a suitably greased torque wrench! Of note, he did only carry out a smoke test on the engine (2.1 injected pinto), so he's not all bad! Good luck with the next test my friend!
        Last edited by Dane_Rescueman; 11-07-12, 08:38 PM. Reason: spolling mastikes
        Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

another 25 mls for return to mot ,this time with a print out from mot inspection manual sec 7.3 non cat test which i held up for tester! to read ,he said sorry i have checked my self and yes visual only .i said M****N** F ********** up.

Comment

Well done Dbdelboy. You have to keep these people in check. I burnt the midnight oil and made up some new longer steel brackets and longer fixed pipes to sort out the supposed problem. Ther is now no chance of the flex pipe getting anywhere near the tyre, or being stretched like a guitar string. Took it to the MoT bloke and he had one look and passed the test. He was bit surprised that a (63 year old) novice like myself could knock up identical steel brackets like these. Ho Hum, still a pass is a pass. I now have two of the little pipes that join the Cortina caliper to the flex hose bracket. They are copper alloy and have driven 4000 miles! Free to a good home!
            Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Working...
            X