Converting manual to power steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting manual to power steering

For some time I've been thinking about converting the manual steering of my Hunter to power-assisted. Although a relatively light car, the big tyres are difficult to turn from lock to lock at parking speeds. Usually, there are no such problems at speed except when negotiating very tight turns, small roundabouts etc.

To go the hydraulic route, I realise that I would have to fit a power-rack, with a pump running off a pulley fitted to the crankshaft, plus plumbing. The other possible option could be fitting an electric version, with a motor-driven steering column, like Vauxhall Corsa for example. I've seen this stuff on e-Bay, but anticipate major problems in making alterations to convert a Ford column.

I expect both versions will not be particularly cheap. Also, there will be problems of tight space in the engine area for the hydraulic rig, or somehow swapping over an electric steering column from a non-Ford car, maybe the idea is not be worth the hassle. Anybody got particular ideas and/or experience?
    Cheers
    Mike

Re: Converting manual to power steering

Mike,

If you look at the other topics/threads on power steering for more info;

Myself and Lee have just completed fitting PAS to our Cabrios using 2 different systems, I went for the hydraulic system and Lee went for the electric system as he has no room under his engine bay to fit the hydraulic type.
    The cost would have been similar but it cost me a £100 to get the PAS rack pinion shaft resplined as it had to be shortened as it would have fouled the internal cross member chasiss.

The parts required- pump, pump mounts, drive belt, hyd hose, tank, rack,splined shaft yoke for the rake, cost approx £100 plus £100 for resplined pinion shaft plus oil and other small items.
    The hardest part was positioning the rack and making the mounting brackets.

This compared to fitting the electric system, as you need to cut the sierra steering column and fit the electric Corsa motor under the dash and wire up will be much easier.

Comment

Hi mike look at Pages 3 & 4 on cosworth cabrio update for more info on electric pas and other info anyone want just give me a call

Comment

Thanks Guys
        Both systems look good, but will have their snags in fitting as well as the expense. Might consult my local village garage run by enthusiasts. They may have done this sort of thing before, and can help with the tricky parts.
        Cheers
        Mike

Comment

Hi mike I can talk you through the process very simple if that helps just give me a call anytime
          Regards
          Lee

Comment

Working...
          X