Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!! Two questions - Rear seatbelts and Zetec

Hello,

After selling my Cabrio and enduring thirteen Marlin-less months, I've just impulse bought a Berlinetta on Ebay with a 'it'll never go for that' bid. This rash purchase prompts two questions.

Short-term issue- does anyone have any details of how to fit rear seatbelts in a Berlinetta. I am particularly interested in fitting seatbelts that will allow the use of a child seat / booster seat for a 3 year old (Cabrio was sold due to ifs failure to accomodate said 3 year old)

Also, (longer term issue) has anyone any details experience of fitting a Zetec to a Berlinetta to replace an Essex V6

Thanks a bunch,

Andrew

Re: Help!! Two questions - Rear seatbelts and Zetec

Hi Andrew - there is some good advice on swapping the engine about on the net - are you witha type 9 box? Try this for starers...

of course you could always use the MT75 box but then you will need a new prop too.

Comment

Another good source of info is http://www.zetecinside.com/xr2/stepbystep.shtml
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Thank you for the comments so far.

What I'm really interested in to start with though is fitting rear seatbelt - can anyone help with this at all?

Comment

Hi all, it has just been brought to my attention that the above post that I deleted has been distributed to all subscribing members of the forum without my realising it. I don't normally subscribe to threads so I wasn't aware that deleted posts are distributed in full.

I posted in good faith but had not read the original post properly. I hope no offence has been made, none was intended. Please accept my apologies for my error. I will check facts before I post in future.

Robert

Comment

Hi Robert just for clarification, and Im sure other members will wish to know how this works: members can elect to "subscribe" to any thread they like, what this means is that as soon as there is an update then they are notified- very useful if you were following something on a particularly interesting topic, of course once the post has been posted (?) it is notified immediately to any subscribers so oops, its too late! Most people dont subscribe to posts as a matter of course though.

Comment

It may not be of any use, but, I welded a bracket to the cross member just ahead and above the rear axle which accepted a bolt through a hole in the floor at the rear of the rear seat squab. I attached a strap to this that I use to restrain my co-pilot (Buddy). Buddy is an 11 Kg border terrier. I tested the design on the bench by supporting my anvil on the assembly. It weighs over 60 Kg and nothing bent or moved. I also dropped the anvil (by mistake) about six inches and thought that the strap and bracket would bend but no!
              I have a shackle that attaches to the dog harness - I've had no complaints so far. If it will hold Buddy secure in excess of 6g then it should be OK. At this "g" his tail would probably pop out of his eye sockets so I don't think it needs to be any stronger.
              You could fit two or more brackets to give somewhere to fit a kiddie seat but you may have big problems finding an upper mounting to stop the seat tilting forwards under g. May be a steel bar across the rear of the seat attached to the upper driver's and Passengers seat belt mount may suffice.
              As you see, it is not going to be easy but is possible. Good luck.
              Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Originally posted by ac View Post
                Thank you for the comments so far.

What I'm really interested in to start with though is fitting rear seatbelt - can anyone help with this at all?
                I fitted a rear belt to my Berlinetta around 4 years ago and as it has now gone through 4 MOTs I can only assume that our fitting system was safe and ok.

We fitted an inertia belt from a Fiat Punto as follows:

The free end of the belt was fixed to the same anchor point as the passenger side belt reel.

The belt reel end of the strap was fed over the back seat into the boot and anchored via a 10mm bolt to the top anchor bar of the rear shock absorber. You need to drill the bar.

The clip side of the belt was fed down blow the rear seat and under the boot floor and anchored to a 10mm bolt drilled through the rear cross member at the rear of the boot and just ahead of and above the rear axle.

All in all it took us about an hour to fit.
                Regards

Richard

Comment

Working...
                X