Rear Spring bushes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Spring bushes

Does anyone have any handy hints for removing the old bushes from the eyes on the rear springs. I have nice new polypropylene ones to fit but the existing ones are held in place by rather more than a sense of tradition. I think the correct term is' corrosion welding'. I suspect that the answer is extreme force and taking the chill off with a gas torch but I'm wary of heating the springs too much as this may affect the temper (the spring's not mine) Any wizard tweaks out there?

Re: Rear Spring bushes

When I did mine, I effectively drilled out all of the old rubber, to leave just the steel outer. This I split out by cutting through it at the gap in the spring eye.
    I too wanted to avoid unnecessary heating of the spring eyes, as do you. It was all originally done on the car rather than taking the springs off.
    Afraid there was no great trick to doing it.

[Edit] To cut through the steel outer, I threaded the hacksaw blade through the bearing, back into the hacksaw frame. Nore secure than a hole saw as Robert describes below.
    Last edited by stevejgreen; 21-08-12, 10:42 AM. Reason: Added info

Comment

Re: Rear Spring bushes

Perhaps a hole saw? My usual method of removing the steel tube is to split the circle with a hacksaw at the point where the circle of the spring eye is split. I used to have an air zip gun with a special chisel for this job.

I wouldn't worry tooo much about heat on the springs, in my really silly days, I used to lower my cars (essential mod when 17) by the simple expedient of heating the top leaf at the back with a cutting torch until the car settled to a pleasingly low ride height. Most of my mates took advantage of this free lowering service, we never experienced a broken spring as a result of the mod. It also worked well with the McPherson strut coil springs.

I have four new bushes in a pair of car springs which I plan to remove and replace in a pair of van springs if they will fit. I will be pressing them out (and back in) with a hydraulic press.

Comment

Working...
      X